TN State Legislature to Punish Memphis

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-leader/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bdd4fec62256

Another embarrassment for the state legislature. Shocking that a majority black city would want to get rid of a statue honoring a prominent Confederate general who made his fortune in the slave trade, was a Grand Wizard of the KKK and responsible for the massacre of black soldiers at Fort Pillow. Where do they get some of these guys? That Andy Holt dude is a complete fool.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Our state legislature is a constant source of embarrassment.

NashVol11 likes this.
  3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Can I ask a question? Are they saying they don't want to get rid of the statue or are they saying the way they want to get rid of it might be slightly illegal? I skimmed through the article.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

The 250,000 was to celebrate Memphis's bicentennial.

How much do gasoline and matches cost?

(j/k j/k)

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If you think this stuff is bad now, just wait until Diane Black is governor.

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

They sold the parks where the statues were located to private parties with the understanding that they would remove the statues. Basically they circumvented an existing (stupid) law. I guess they could see if anybody wants some yard art.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I grew up in memphis when the funeral home for the powerful Ford family was caught financing expensive caskets for folks who couldnt afford it and burying the remains in boxes as they reused caskets.
    They were soon reelected

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't see her winning

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

So
    So it's not that they are fighting to keep it up. They actually tried to have it removed? I guess I'll read the article later.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Their local politics haven't gotten much better since then.

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

The statues are already down and in storage. Whoever bought the land they were on was free to do so, and it meets the letter of the law. I'm assuming the law about removing monuments without legislative approval is recently on the books in response to Charlottesville or whatever, but I guess it could have already been in place.

I don't really give a [uck fay] about the statues, why is the state wasting a quarter of a million like that to begin with? Also worth noting that the 250k was only in the House budget bill and not the Senate, so maybe somebody tried to sneak it in in the first place.

Also also worth noting that they just passed a resolution to build a monument to unborn babies, which at least isn't taxpayer funded but lol.

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Can you imagine some of the potential design proposals? Yikes.

13. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Nothing like big governments telling small governments how to act, amirite?

JayVols likes this.
  14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Her commercials aren't doing her favors. She seems angry and doesn't have a clue about what is going on in the state.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No one likes her, even in her own party.

17. JayVols

I don't discount anything anymore.

18. JayVols

Racist, imo, jmo, tifwiw, Go Vols!

19. JayVols

Good points. She'll win for sure now.

tvolsfan likes this.
  20. JayVols