TN State Legislature to Punish Memphis

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Apr 19, 2018.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Hell man, that's why we exist. Where's the fun in anything else?

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’ve yet to see anyone claim that what Memphis did was illegal.

If the State wished to prevent Memphis’ circuitous but legal path toward their removal, they should have been proactive in preventing it with Legislation, a court injunction or both.

And now, what they’ve done is not only seemingly a purely - purely - punitive and retaliatory effort, but for a situation which they themselves allowed to occur as a result of being too inept, apathetic or impotent to have prevented.

What is legal and what is right are not always sychronized in perfect harmony. Sometimes that’s tragic.

But what is legal will always - and should - win.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

When they finally decriminalize pot, I'll really start having fun.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

As long as your work place no longer tests for it!

fl0at_ likes this.
  5. fl0at_

No. No. No.

Legality doesn’t make right.

What is right should always win.

Legality is the new might. And might does not make right.

What Memphis did was right and legal. What the state did was legal and petty.

chef65 and warhammer like this.
  6. Tenacious D

If I ran for Governor of TN on a single plank platform of simply forcing Memphis out of Tennessee, I’d win in a walk.

TN pop: 6.6M
    Memphis pop: 600k

May campaign would cost less than $100.

7. fl0at_

Florida will probably legalize, but Tennessee won’t.

So don’t bring your hippie pipes and tie dye here.

kmf600 likes this.
  8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My work tests me, and DOT tests me for my CDL too. I think its DOT, someone does. I hope in 3 years I can tell them all to kiss my ass, I'm too high to care.

justingroves likes this.
  9. fl0at_

I will sponsor your $100.

Prove it.

10. fl0at_

You might not be responsible enough to smoke weed.

But luckily you have bourbon.

11. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

No testing by my employer!

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I do like some bourbon too.

13. Tenacious D

Legality should always aspire to be right, or to follow as closely beside it as possible.

It is exactly and only legality which can ultimately prevent the indefinite permissibility of might making right.

And it’s also legality which allows each of us to collectively determine what is right, and to that which we all agree to adhere, protect and enforce.

In a world without law, being right doesn’t make a single good God damn.

14. fl0at_

Yes, legality should aspire to be right, but that doesn't make it such. But when the argument becomes what the law is, rather than what it should be, the argument is straying into might makes right territory.

In a world without law, what is right is still what is right.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Ah, the tyranny of the majority. A nice refuge for a gaggle of stupidity throughout our country's history.

Regardless, I know how it works. You seem to continually reject the idea, though, that people can criticize a patently stupid idea or action by a group of people in the majority simply because they have the ability to act in accordance with their stupidity. I'm not running around the state on behalf of the city of Memphis to raise $250,000, but I can certainly observe and speak on activities of the government.

NashVol11 likes this.
  16. fl0at_

You should give $10.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Can I ask a question, not trying to start an argument, have any of you guys walked by a statue, or anything really, and thought to yourself, that really offends me? Like when I see a picture of Butch Jones, it makes me want to kick him in the balls. But I can't think of anything I've ever seen and said, that needs to be destroyed right now. Some things I'm trying to think of, like the German Holocaust stuff, that was terrible, and the only things I've seen in person are from museums, but I've never said, this thing I'm looking at should be destroyed.

TangoUniform likes this.
  18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That third bullet may be the silliest thing I read on the internet today, tomorrow, or at least until the UT football prediction thread for this season really gets cooking.

19. fl0at_

It wasn't destroyed, it was removed.

Do you think we should have kept Butch Jones on the scoreboard, because history?

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I was just saying destroyed, but removed too. I'm definitely happy they took him down, will we take him out of every picture on campus? Did it offend me to see him up there? No, not really.
    I do see the point you're making.