2012 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tankervol, Mar 26, 2012.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I agree, but if you aren't trading that pick, might as well take one of the best available. That said, I like Jenkins.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i would have liked Upshaw too. his speech after the Super Bowl win next year would have been legendary.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I like what the Bengals did, though we've had bad luck with Bama players.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

wright will be a good player. not sold on the rb from boise.

5. tankervol

tankervol Member

Martin is a legit 3 down back that can catch the ball out of the backfield and pass protect. That's more than you can say about Blount. I think the Bucs had to go get him after missing out on Richardson.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

26. Texans- Whitney Mercilus DE- Illinois
    27. Bengals- Kevin Zeitler OL- Wisconsin
    28. Packers- Nick Perry DE- USC
    29. Vikings- Harrison Smith S- Notre Dame
    30. 49ers- A.J. Jenkins WR- Illinois
    31. Buccaneers- Doug Martin RB- Boise State
    32. Giants- David Wilson RB- Virginia Tech

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Ron Zook is a damn good recruiter. Look at all the Illinois players taken in the 1st round.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Three Tennesseeans in the first round. Zero Vols.

9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I was thinking last night that with guys such as Mayo and Foster flourishing in the NFL, and Meacham, D-Moore not doing bad, and with Coleman, Creer, Poole supposedly getting looks, had Fulmer's recruiting (outside of the 08 class, which was a disaster), really slipped that bad? The coaching was bad bad, but I still think they were doing a decent job pulling in talent.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

OL and DL were still pretty weak.

11. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Its a stretch to find OL guys, but DL had Ayers, Williams, and a few other guys who have made it in.

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Yes.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seeing as how we got a combined total of three decent years out of the ten those two spent on campus I'd say that's a pretty bad failure.

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Not according to the NFL draft evaluators.

15. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Yes, a coaching failure as I have already said, but the natural talent to be good was already there. In William's case, he just needed a new coach to unlock his potential.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Even the bad years we got out stars here and there, but there was no well coordinated recruiting. Even if Dooley's guys don't work out, he is for the most part getting the players we need to have a full roster (x number of LBs, y number of RBs, etc. ). Fulmer was just grabbing whatever four star would listen.

17. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

All im saying is that we still had the talent here to win in a lot of places, but the coaching situation limited the talent from reaching their potential. Agree or Disagree?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Right. Fulmer was not filling rosters which was causing major issues towards the end. The guys he got were often talented, but they weren't coached up and gaping roster holes negated some of those advantages.

What good is stockpiling talent at RB if you don't have an O-line?

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Still not buying it. You wouldn't start, as your only options, either a walk-on or a true frosh on your "most-talented team ever" if recruiting was balling. We wouldn't be starting guys like Wes Brown, Turk McBride, that big white guy in 2006 that was the worst player of all time, and Joseph Ayres at DT if the DL recruiting was up to snuff.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

2005-2008 definitely had a bunch more wins in them.

Whats funny is that they were actually pretty damn lucky 2007 wasn't more like 05 and 08. A lot of lucky bounces that season.