2019 Vols

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tenacious D, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Wisconsin wasn't all white and I'm from there, so it shouldn't be too surprising.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Theres been several times this season they’ve buckled down

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Uni I peeked at VN and a thread was posted when Barnes was headed here. You called him the Dabo Swinney of college basketball, which was supposed to be a cut. Problem is Dabo won 2 since then. Not sure I've seen a poster dog Barnes so much. "He's not a good coach. We should pass. I hope we pass. Please". "He's the type that has you treading water as a program". "if equal talent, he gets outcoached". "The recent attitude of Vol fans accepting mediocrity blows my mind."
    Goodness man i'm still not sure hoops is your best sport

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  4. Unimane

I've forgotten more about the sport than you'll ever know and you have no idea my background in the sport. Yeah, I got the Barnes deal wrong, but it wasn't exactly a sure thing at the time with Barnes a coach in his 60s who hadn't accomplished much recently at Texas. He hadn't been great there for a while. I'd like to remind you he hasn't made it past the second round of the NCAA tournament since 2008. I've, obviously, come around on the guy, but it certainly wasn't the slam dunk you are suggesting.

Plus, I still stand by my statement this team must play better defense and shore up the rebounding to keep opponents off the offensive glass if a Final Four is going to be in the mix. Interestingly enough, it appears Coach Barnes agrees with me, throwing a wrench into your, apparent, fixation on proving my stupidity, lack of knowledge or whatever it is you're trying to do.

5. Ssmiff

just busting your balls for posting 50+ times in a thread that Barnes sucks, can't coach, not needed, will deliver mediocrity and everybody else is an idiot for thinking otherwise.

6. Unimane

Ok, that first line of mine was a bit harsh, in retrospect. My apologies.

Still, my contention with Barnes was that he doesn't win in March. The jury is still out there. I have high hopes this year, for sure. I hope he breaks his dry spell with this group because they are so capable of doing so. I never thought I would see either of my two hoops teams, Badgers and Vols, in the last game of the season and it might happen within a few years of each other. That tournament can't get here fast enough.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

The winning in March thing is weird. It’s such a fickle thing. Last year the difference between Tennessee’s exit and Michigan’s run was a couple of low percentage shots either way. I don’t think it had much to do with Beilein or Barnes

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

There's some randomness but programs do it consistently.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

A few

10. Ssmiff

Kyle Alexander

11. JohnnyQuickkick

When we hired him, it isn’t who I’d have gone after but considering who we had running the show I thought it was a coup

I didn’t watch a ton of Texas games but I’d always assumed he was a recruiter and roll the ball out there guy, but he’s been the opposite of that here. Everybody on that team has improved mightily every year.

And I think recruiting has been underrated because he looks pretty savvy now at finding guys who can play despite what the magazines say.

12. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

It had a lot to do with Alexander's absence and a still youngish team.

13. Ssmiff

The ball doesnt go in one game, injury, foul trouble on bs calls. Lot of factors go into 1 loss in basketball before it being on a coach choking imo.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It’s certainly been fun to watch the “is he actually doing anything over there” crowd turn into the “how did we ever live without him” crowd almost overnight.

I’m not necessarily speaking about anybody in particular here, but that was the overall theme perpetuated by local talking head types, and I don’t think anybody is feeding them their crow.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If things work out I may be there as well.

NYY likes this.
  16. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Any idea what the scalping market would be like on Saturday?

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I readily, and without hesitation, admit I was in that crowd. It appeared he had simply retired to Knoxville.

I am always happy to admit when I am wrong, and I was dead [uck fay]ing wrong.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I was in that group as well and am thrilled I was wrong. I'm still not sure that he will produce in March, but he's far exceeded my expectations already.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Do you want your crow barbequed or deep fried? I am making a batch for myself and am willing to share with my friends.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've been told second hand that tickets have been available in the $30 range so far this season. Whether that remains true for Saturday, I don't know. Apparently despite being sold out, there are often empty seats.