Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Last rounds of our draft are usually decided by if I wrote nothing, "no", or "hell no".

"Hell nos" are reserved for the kids that aren't good and are also hellians.

2. CardinalVol

The best part of the night was a coach getting stuck with a hat pick of a kid he'd had the last 2 years and him saying "my entire day is now ruined."

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i only reserve that for players whose parents are shitheads.

4. CardinalVol

Those get lines drawn through them from the start.

One of my friend's draft notes for one kid was "I hate his father"

Tenacious D and droski like this.
  5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

one of those kids went pretty high in the draft. poor bastard who drafted him. his father is one of those guys who a) thinks he knows everything even though he knows jack shit about baseball, b) complains constantly, and c) never volunteers to do shit. his kid, non surprisingly, is a nut too. i had to threaten to bench him permanently to get him to stop running after the ball after he hit with the bat in his hand. the dad once went to me "we're hoping you can get him to listen because he does whatever he wants at home."

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

No shit, Dad.

droski likes this.
  7. CardinalVol

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the USA Bat standards?

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I think it's a scam to make everybody buy a new bat every 4 years. We converted to little league starting in fall, and every single bat every player owned became illegal (we used USSSA until then.)

I'm all for player safety, but this is nothing more than an additional expense in a league that is struggling to convince kids to play.

justingroves and droski like this.
  9. CardinalVol

My son is 4'2, 62 pounds, smaller than that last year. Guess what it was like for him to get a 27/16 (smallest last year) around with good form?

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have one of my boys using his tball bat for that very reason. I googled the little league rules and it’s legal as long as it’s a legit usaa bat. Can’t be one of the old tball bats.

11. CardinalVol

Show me said rule, because I can't find it in the rule book.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Go back to wood and call it a day.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It definitely takes some pop out of the bats, but I doubt enough to really save injuries.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

A lot of people are doing that actually. Wood bats have a more natural balance imo

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Wood breaks, and economics are huge factors for most of these kids and for all of these leagues.

17. CardinalVol

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Nor do we, but that protection is there for the bat. Tball usaa bats have less pop than coach pitch bats

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

By that theory you can’t use tball bats in tball

20. CardinalVol

Trust me, I'd love if he could have used his old tee ball bat. 26-13 and he'd hit .700. We ready the rules and had our region admin verify them, and we can't use non USA Bats above tee ball and can use tee ball bats with non tee balls.