Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lumberjack4, Mar 14, 2012.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I'm glad this is the last season. The further away from the books they get, the worse the show gets. IMO. Some of of the dialogue tonight was reality TV worthy. I'm ready for all of them to die.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I wasn’t at all impressed with tonight’s episode.

It was stupid shit slow-playing, and which has plagued this franchise for the last 3-4 years, were I being honest.

When you shorten the final season by several episodes...and then break that shortened single season up into two separate mini seasons...and then make me wait 1.5 years before the start of that shortened season...and another 1.5 years before the conclusion of the start of the second half of that shortened season...and you’ve only got 6 episodes left to wrap up about 20 storylines...there’s neither any room for story-building nor grace to be had in those last six episodes.

In fact, they had better be of such thorough quality as to be unquestionably excellent, in every way, and while wringing quality out of every frame of film and line of dialogue.

That wasn’t it last night, at all. Instead, that was nothing more than yet another segue episode, just like so many dozens of similarly slow-played others. What you saw last night was one giant reunion show, and nothing more. You’ve got six episodes left, you had 3 years to think about and plan for it, and you still need to do a whole episode of people reuniting via cut shots overlayed with dramatic music? What’s particularly and deliciously ironic is that they only had to do these re-introductions because they realized that people likely forgot where everyone was...because they’ve taken three years to produce six (6) episodes.

Jon now knows that he’s a Targaryan - which you could have accomplished in about 3 lines of dialogue and 1 minute of screen time - that’s all the substance you got last night.

And Jon reuniting with Sansa.
    And Jon reuniting with Arya.
    And Jon reuniting with Bran.
    And Jon reuniting with Winterfell.
    And Jon reuniting with Sam.
    And Jamie reuniting with Bran.
    And Jamie reuniting with Tyrion.
    And Tyrion reuniting with Varys.
    And Sansa reuniting with Tyrion.
    And Jorah Mormont reuniting with The 7 Kingdoms.
    And The Hound reuniting with Arya.
    And Theron being reunited with his sister.

Yadda. Yadda. Yadda. Yadda. Yadda.

Yadda.

And there’s more, but I’m not only tired of typing them out, but think that I’ve more than made my point, even in an admittedly partial listing.

“Oh, well, it’s setting up X, Y and Z!” I hear your stupid inner monologue shout in protest. Well, ok, and you needed a whole episode to do it? What’s that? No, you didn’t? But they’re still not just slow-play milking the now well-worn teet of the golden goose, and last night was great? Because that makes sense.

HBO has starved y’all (because they can, that’s why) and now you’re mistaking a olive-loaf baloney sandwich on stale bread for filet mignon, and are so dumbly on the hook that you’ll angrily deny and denounce my saying it ain’t, and even though you know I’m right.

It was a shit episode, by any standard, and that’s the only possible conclusion for any honestly reasonable person.

Fight me. I’m more than glad to beat the shit out of each and every one of you dipshit dumbasses.

utvol0427 likes this.
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Every single show in history stretches out the last season by an episode or two.

lylsmorr likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I give it a C-. Didnt need the Jon driving the dragon to waterfall scene.

VolDad and kmf600 like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can't imagine feeling that way and still being enough of a horse's ass to sit there and watch it.

tvolsfan and justingroves like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

yes you did. that is only the 2nd person to ride a dragon on this show. it is demonstrating the dragons know he is a targ, and trust him. it's showing that if dany was gone, the dragons might follow him.

tvolsfan and lylsmorr like this.
  7. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

The fact the dragon even let him ride him is a big deal. Jon was just too slow to get it.

Jon Snow knows nothing

kmf600 likes this.
  8. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

He has a conscious now. All it took was leaving his [itch bay] lover/sister.

9. Ssmiff

Ok my bad. The training my dragon ride was awesome, even though we already knew the dragon trusted him due to his scent.

GahLee and utvol0427 like this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

index.jpg

hohenfelsvol and kmf600 like this.
  11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I said the same thing last night. It was a garbage, filler episode that did nothing to progress the plot other than a 3 minute conversation between Jon and Sam.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's the important thing.

tvolsfan likes this.
  13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I thought Jon had already interacted with the dragons at some point and the dragons were pretty chill about it?

Edit: S7E5 Jon sees Drogon, Drogon approaches Jon, Jin pets/pats Drogon. Seems that would suffice to show that the dragons were cool with Jon. Don't think we needed the scene making Jon out to be a clumsy goof trying to ride a dragon to prove anything.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He touched one and didn't get eaten, but he wasn't the first to do that.

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Who else has touched them without getting eaten? Jon and Tyrion?

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Pretty sure Tyrion did

justingroves likes this.
  17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, he's the one that released the two that Daenerys had chained up. Seems to point towards something about Tyrion's lineage.

18. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

QzJRzlN.gif

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    lylsmorr likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

nah. or at least, I think it is a stretch. maybe.

20. Ssmiff

How to Train Your Dragon 3, Iceland