Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lumberjack4, Mar 14, 2012.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Slowly losing any faith in the show. Without GRRM to fall back on, the writing is sloppy, sped up and Tyrion is a shadow of himself. Perhaps GRRM himself doesn't know how to finish it and thus is just refusing to write it, but it lacks the gravitas of the first 3-4 seasons.

Brienne should have stayed chaste, imho.

And Westeros has shrunk since the first 4-5 seasons. Used to take a month to get to Kingslanding from Winterfell. Now armies are marching down there in days, Euron gets his fleet out and back again in no time, etc.

I am mostly watching now just because I have inertia.

EDIT:

Episode 2 was wonderful and had such a great set up for the battle, and the battle was meh save for Arya doing her thing.

And I feel like they are just racing to get this thing over with and doing it hamhandedly.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

they have definitely shrunk travel time to the point of completely abandoning the concept

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Tormund aint supposed to be 5'8. He's a wildling who drank giants milk for goodness sakes.

4. Ssmiff

I got to play basketball with Woody Harrelson when he was filming Larry Flynt in Memphis. He's not only short, but terrible

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Wait a second, he was so good in white men can't jump

6. Ssmiff

awkward runner. i'm not sure his toes ever touched the ground

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I don’t think there is any potential ending that isn’t polarizing (unless it’s universally considered terrible).

NorrisAlan likes this.
  8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I hope Daenerys burns everything to the ground and kills everyone, Jon kills her and heads to the north to find Tormund and Ghost.

9. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Well there’s one out there now that I think it would be considered universally terrible.

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Theory or spoiler?

11. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

One of the many leaks that came out last year. So far that certain set has proved to be prophetic.

12. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Cersei kills everyone and retains the iron throne?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

what is it?

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

CER-SEI!
    CER-SEI!
    CER-SEI!

15. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I’d be alright with that. Honestly, I’m just enjoying the show. It requires too much effort to hate on a television show that nobody is forcing me to watch.

JohnnyQuickkick and justingroves like this.
  16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

There are few who more thoroughly enjoy knocking the hell out of television shows and movies, than I. Almost every criticism in this thread is reasonable and justified. I’m sure we’ve missed or skipped dozens more.

But it’s such a great story, that it still survives all of it, and isn’t appreciably worse for the wear. I’m not defending HBO’s handling of it, at all, but am more giving mad props to GRRM for having conceived and penned such a compelling story as to have survived HBO’s silliness.

I haven’t read any of the books, but if he finishes them, I’ll read them, just to see how he would have continued and ended it. Even as the guy who [itch bay]ed about their slow-playing it (and they absolutely have, in a pure grab for cash), but they’ve rushed significant parts of the story. I assume that they had some key contracts coming up, and didn’t want to ante up whatever that cost would be, or that it’s too costly to continue (I don’t believe that last one...they’ve made several mints on this show), but they had to get it done now.

Also, as a quick addition / aside, Dinklage and Maisie have been so consistently extraordinary as to be otherworldly, even in a cast full of wonderful performances. Those two have also greatly helped (saved?) the many shortcomings of HBO’s version. They’ve been that great.

I’m just saying that for the story to still be so compelling is a testament to GRRM’s vision. It’s an amazing tale.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sansa is coming in on the dark horse. Jon, Dany, and Cersei all die. Only claim left is Gendry who she marries. Boom. Calling my shot.

govols182 and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I'm still sticking with Bronn getting the Iron Throne and filling the Red Keep with whores

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Guys on boats tossing and turning on seawalls are surprisingly accurate hitting objects streaking through the sky.

Danny has had two shitty episodes; she is due for a win.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

her win will be a lot of normal people's fiery death.

tvolsfan likes this.