Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Nov 8, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't, as your mod abilities will see.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't even know how to use my mod abilities.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Unfit for the position. Should have hired Indy.

kmf600, NorrisAlan and VolDad like this.
  4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

And, you're supposed to be a "super" moderator, not even one with regular powers, but the Spiderman of the moderating crew.

kmf600 likes this.
  5. NorrisAlan

I'm not Spiderman, more like Paste-Pot Pete.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

The law of the states say as a consequence of breaking the law, as a felon, you lose rights. If you want your rights, don't break the law

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know states say that. I and others do not think that is right. in part, because nothing bars that logic from being applied for even minor offenses. I'm not sure why the government should have power of revoking ability to vote. or to execute people, for that matter.

not trying to piss you off, and I know these are probably not popular sentiments. An individual vote means little in determining an election usually, but the act and right of the vote means a hell of a lot, for the society as a whole.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm not pissed, I'm just saying there are consequences to committing a crime. Just like a felon can't have a gun either. Do you want a felon to have a gun as well?

9. NorrisAlan

If they are out of prison and not on parole? I see no reason to continue not treating them as a full dyed-in-the-wool citizen.

However, while incarcerated, no, of course.

Volst53 likes this.
  10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Considering the confining nature of being incarcerated, and the many other rights this unavoidably prevents their exercising, and that they are each greatly and uniquely subject to the business of government....why not let them vote, even if incarcerated?

They don’t stop being Americans while in jail.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

once out of prison, sure. prison should be about reforming, too. After your time, you should have all rights restored.

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

False choice.

We don’t live in a world in which the right to vote is married to the right to own and possess a firearm.

13. NorrisAlan

Just smacks of letting the inmates run the asylum, sort of literally in this case. But I don't think it is a horrible thing if someone in prison casts a vote for President, so I could be convinced.

Just the idea that we cannot take rights away from people that are incarcerated is a non-starter, because simply by imprisoning them, we are taking rights away. And hopefully the justice system has not failed and they deserve what they are getting.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yes.

If they're not safe being a full citizen with full rights, they should stay locked up to protect the public and themselves.

cpninja likes this.
  15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Article XIV, Section 2

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

so it is a power definitely enumerated. thanks.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Uh, kinda. Meant section 3. Talks about crimes and being an electoral vote.

Other than 24th amendment, constitution is silent on voting.

Which means that 10th amendment applies.

Which means states can disenfranchise.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I took took the life, liberty stuff to be in the realm of that level of action.

regardless, I don't like the idea of a person's right to vote being revoked. and especially after their sentence has been served.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Lack of consequences for actions, is part of the reason why we are in this mess. By all means, let them vote. Let killers and rapists have cable, food, education and free rent and of course let them vote. Maybe the dem/rep vote can swing one way or the other with a murderer voting. The dead person means the other side is down 1 vote now.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

If consequences alone prevented bad actions, "draconian" would have a positive connotation and there would be no booze.