The Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Sep 23, 2011.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'm filling sandbags and putting hay on to try and stop another breach. We've had a lot of water the last couple of days.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

hunters, on these nat geo shows where people are in the middle of nowhere, a nomad is wandering around doing nothing and chooses to not eat vs killing a hen. why would you kill a tom turkey vs a hen? There are hens everywhere and 1 tom. Why take him out?
    2. If you are starving and its not deer season, are you really not going to shoot one?
    I'll hang up and listen

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's just a tv show, and they're trying to paint those on it in a positive light of stewards of the land.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm not sure I understand your question, but in general, you take males because when you kill a male, you kill one Turkey. When you kill a female, you kill her, plus however many offspring she would have for every one of her productive breeding years. With deer, that's probably one her first, and two every year after for about 5, so including the doe, that might be 12 deer you are removing from the population rather than 1.

So if you want to maintain population or allow it to increase, you are much better off taking males. If the goal is population reduction, you should start removing females.

justingroves and Ssmiff like this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Seems like it was hard for the guy to find a tom but hens were all around. I was thinking if you take the tom, hens wouldnt have a man to breed with. Take a hen and you still have a tom and 7 hens to breed. That was my line of thinking.

6. cotton

Ladies can always find another man, and they are the baby factories.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A mature male turkey is one of the hardest things on the planet to kill

8. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Love it when folks say they're smart. They aren't, just wary as hell. I've had some wild experiences killing big old toms, you've gotta know when to put that call down and wait.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've had the bastards hear my safety click off when they're about 60 yards and off they go.

They aren't necessarily smart, but they know if a damn leaf is out of place.

Hens are their only real weakness

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

An old mature buck is smart. I would like to know how many die of old age

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What does it mean to be smart, as an animal?

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Not walking up on people with guns waiting to shoot you.

justingroves likes this.
  13. fl0at_

My dad saw a really beautiful mule deer buck get hit by an 18 wheeler a couple days ago, because it decided to cross a six lane interstate highway system.

That was not smart. Aka, not wary.

Bucks that only come out at night. Smart == wary.

Bucks that wake up at 8 am, snort, walk out into a field, mill around. Not as smart.

14. fl0at_

A population of game birds lives and dies by its hatch numbers. Which, oddly enough, has very little to do with males.

The ladies will get knocked up. It just might be next dude up.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Right here is why I don't hunt. I feel like I'm searching for Waldo looking at this picture. I would have shot the hell out of some bushes, though.

justingroves likes this.
  16. cotton

There is dark hole in the middle of those trees. He's in his bed at the bottom of it, body back to the right with his head turned to the camera. You can make out his antlers shining in the sun, and if the silly bastard had been further back in the shadows, he'd probably still be alive.

NYY likes this.
  17. cotton

2000000000079605~2.jpg

Here is a closer pic of the same deer a little later!

kmf600 likes this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Being able to not be shot or eaten

19. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Looks like an awesome landscape to hunt. I'm headed to Montana here in a couple weeks, pumped.

20. cotton

Very pretty. More fun to observe than walk.

justingroves likes this.