The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The carry thing will be tricky. I could see the parents being liable in tort courts, if they weren’t their with him.

It’s illegal to own/buy a rifle before 18. But minors can carry rifles and shotguns at least for hunting purposes.

It’s a damn mess though. The police were begging the governor for national guard and were denied twice but after last night that’s changing and the governor has accepted assistance from the feds.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Heartbreaking to see this; all because a snot nosed kid decides to play Rambo. I do not care if those killed and injured are the worst of the worst; looting and burning. They did not deserve to lose their lives or limb.

SetVol13 likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's a bad situation. Not that it excuses anything, but it is clear that this kid was raised in such a way that he wanted to be a hero, wanted to protect property of business owners. It just isn't as simple as that.

4. GrantCase

GrantCase New Member

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Kid is about the learn the hard way that no matter how much he just loves and supports the police, they have different rights than him.

Namely, police get the benefit of the doubt in a shooting, and he doesn't.

But I imagine after 7 or so years in prison, and after having to seek protection from guys who have tattoos and talk a lot about aryans, because the chubby white boy was in prison for defending cops... during BLM protests, he'll have a very different view of the entire justice system.

That sucks. Wish someone had told him often.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Truly the best advice is to avoid trouble when you can. And I don't mean just "don't go around protests." I mean, he not only drove out of state, but also then went off on his own in the middle of civil unrest with a gun hanging on a sling. Come the [uck fay] ON. Someone was likely dying, him or someone else, with that formula.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

People looking for trouble tend to find it

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep. And on the flip side, the first guy who was killed that kept charging this armed 17 yo... what did he think would happen? Did he think there was no way this kid would pull the trigger? What a gamble, and he lost. The chasing after that is muddier in terms of decision-making, but the first guy-- huh? Of course, I don't know what happened before the video, so maybe there is something else going on. But still.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I doubt he does any serious time for it.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

This person doesn't do serious time. The cop who shot an unarmed man in the back multiple times in front of his children probably does no time, and there are 2 dead men who stay dead forever, 1 man who has a maimed arm forever, and one man who may be a paraplegic forever but definitely lost most of his intestines forever.

Gee, why the unrest?

12. fl0at_

There are probably like... 10 charges or so this kid can get. These are about the 8 I can come up with on the fly. I bet a prosecutor who knows the law, can do more.

1. Brandishing
    2. Intent to go armed
    3. Assault with a deadly weapon
    4. Leaving the scene of a shooting
    5. Failure to notify of a shooting
    6. Crossing state lines after leaving the scene of a shooting
    7. Homicide
    8. Illegal transport of a firearm

Further, the prosecutor faces no issue with charging a kid here. The kid is from out of state. Not a community kid. Meanwhile, one of the people injured was a community person. So there isn't like there is some local political pressure here, by the prosecution or the jury.

I bet any lawyer he gets begs to plead some things down, just so he faces 7 years at sentencing, instead of life.

13. fl0at_

Prosecution is also going to put on the stand, a living person, who was armed. And say, if you were really trying to harm this guy, why didn't you shoot him?

"Well, because I wasn't. He just got up shooting. I was fleeing from a shooting."

Assault with a deadly weapon conviction, likely follows.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The cop.

I don't think that's as cut and dry as made out to be.

The 17 year old will do some time.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

He will do time and is definitely at fault, to a degree, but he's not getting convicted of first-degree intentional homicide. There's already a ton of video evidence out there that shows he had reason to believe he was in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm prior to each shooting.

The media seems to be out to smear this kid. I'm curious to learn more about what happened prior to the first shooting that led to him being chased. I'd also like to know what happened after the 2nd shooting. I've read that he tried to give himself up, but the cops just drove past him because they had no idea what happened or was going on. But then what did he do after that? I would guess that he was likely still in danger, which would justify at least leaving the area, but you'd think he would turn himself in after that.

16. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Don't know if you've seen this video, but it may answer some of your questions:

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

This is very disturbing so watch at your own peril. This includes what happened at the gas station prior to the shooting (including the first victim shouting shoot me n****, shoot me) and the shootings.

Speaking of smearing, the other side is doing the same with the first victim (showing that he was on the sex offender registry, prior arrest for assault)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

The media is what now? I saw it being reported as a "gun battle" and such, when he is the only one firing a gun. If anything, he's being treated well.

20. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

First time seeing this one, wasn't ready for how graphic it was.