The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You thought wrong. And continue to do so. There are no back flips. An oven can be turned on. And the temperature increased. But the oven was still on, before the increase.

There were riots before Trump sent in feds. The presence of the feds escalated, or at least focused, the riots. Then the feds left, and some of the rioting died down. Then another unnecessary death re-ignited them, again.

Where are the back flips in such a simple timeline of events?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

*taps mic

Am I allowed to think the Jacob Blake shooting was BS and that something should be done and also think that we need to unleash hell on the rioters too? Not protesters, rioters.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

This particular line of conversation is about protests due to the shooting of Jacob Blake this past weekend. He was shot 7 times in the back at point blank range on camera. I'm sure you'll now accept this correction and dial back your apparent outrage.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

"unleash hell?" You are allowed to think it, but why don't we just enforce the law and arrest them in a lawful fashion?

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Actually shot 4 times, 3 missed, and is reportedly paralyzed.

6. CardinalVol

Because I'm afraid we're about 20 steps past being able to just enforce the law on these folks. Few weeks ago I'd have agreed, but it's going to take more than enforcing law at this point in order to arrest them. It is either already is is or will be a combat zone if/when authorities decide to shut it down.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The shooting of Jacob Blake just happened, in Wisconsin. If you are connecting it with Portland, that is your misunderstanding. See, the police unlawfully shooting people is a systemic problem. It keeps happening. Very often, they face no repercussions for it. Breonna Taylor's killers are still not charged. It was apparently a lawful execution of an innocent person sleeping in their own bed. Likewise, the shooter of Jacob Blake remains uncharged and free. That's the outrage. Many people seem to get more upset about property destruction than murder. It's very strange.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I saw the tape, that there were 3 misses just shows how reckless the discharge was. Kids were in that car.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

How are we going to enforce the law on the people murdering civilians, who are supposed to be law enforcement? The cart is being put before the horse. You can't crack down on the rioters in the name of justice with the very entities that are being tolerated to unjustly kill without consequence. Either we are all equal under the law or the law has no real authority. Here we are.

10. CardinalVol

You have a better idea? You think we can go in and arrest these folks at this point without it getting very, very violent and people not being injured/dying?

11. CardinalVol

I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying at this point I see no other way to stop it.

12. fl0at_

I do. It's not hard. It just requires patience and investigation.

IP likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which folks? All of the people breaking the laws, or just the ones destroying property? I think if you arrest the officer who shot an unarmed man in the back multiple times, it will become a lot easier to arrest the rioters because now it will be doing so as a system of laws and justice rather than as part of a system of oppression.

You may think I'm being hyperbolic or naive, but put yourself in the shoes of a father who is shot in the back in front of his kids, and there are no consequences and a long pattern of this shit happening to cardinal people.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

My fault. I thought you were talking about the Floyd deal. Srsly my bad.
    I can surely see how another shooting would ignite

Unimane likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I understand that this thread is confusing because often we just launch into conversations on current events without actually detailing the new event, I appreciate you hearing me out in good faith.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Has all the facts came out on this shooting yet?

The optics of it is horrible, but seems like there's a lot more to come out as well.

17. fl0at_

So.... here we go, the not hard way.

1. Identify the person to be arrested, through human surveillance, human intelligence (HUMINT), or technological surveillance.
    2. Surveillance on the person to determine routine, after identification.
    3. Take down.

I'd use four officers, one officer is trail, one officer is approach. Let's say suspect exits apartment building every Thursday morning and walks to Starbucks. Taking suspect down halfway to Starbucks because there is a section of wall he walks past that is concrete, so if there is a gunfight, the rounds impact the wall. Trail follows. Approach is coming head on. Trail and approach are plain clothes and DO NOT react unless suspect attempts to flee.

Take down team consists of two UNIFORMED officers, in an unmarked vehicle. They will approach, face on if traffic allows, behind if it doesn't. Prefer face on. Non side officer will disembark and stand ready. Side officer, will call out suspect's name and state they are under arrest.

If suspect runs, trail or approach takes down. If suspect draws weapon, side officer is to DISENGAGE around vehicle, and non-side officer has shoot clearance. If a weapon is drawn, all four officers converge, but trail and approach need to be aware of fields of fire, so they don't hit each other.

Upon arrest, as part of bail, prosecution will request house arrest awaiting trial.

Done. As the rioters numbers decrease... so too will the rioting.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Guy is apparently the Guarantano of firearms.

Ssmiff and VolDad like this.
  19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

That sounds similiar to what they were doing in Portland and were widely criticized for.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Idk, the Guarantano of firearms would’ve probably held the gun until the guy beat the shit out of him

Ssmiff likes this.