POLITICS Ukraine

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Jan 22, 2022.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Not their best work.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Today is the 85th anniversary of the bombing of Guernica… 85 years.

Nothing has changed and all the shouts of “Never Again!” have been proven meaningless.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm about at "[uck fay] it" with Russia continuing to make nuclear threats for Ukraine not rolling over and the world not abandoning them. Maybe it is partly nihilism induced by the slow road to climate collapse that we won't turn away from, but I don't see the point in watching Russia's current way of doing thing metastasize. More aid every time they mention their nukes.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The military aid stockpile just got 10 feet higher!

NorrisAlan likes this.
  5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

You talking about the Lavrov comments?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Russia needs to be told the story of the Country Who Cried "We'll use nukes."

Eventually the people ignore the cry...

IP likes this.
  8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I may just be desensitized to it at this point but they didn’t really strike me as a “threat.”

Little context, at the beginning of all this, the nuclear posturing in particular really messed my head up to the point where I was just worthless for a couple weeks. I still have some measure of anxiety about it but have tried to read less randos and more context and reasoned analysis.

So, in this case it seems a lot more reserved than a lot of what’s been thrown around (like some of Medvedev’s earlier comments, Russian state media, etc.)

It was a lot of things we already know.

- Direct confrontation (I.e. NATO boots on the ground) is probably a red line or close to it.
    - Western weapons in Ukraine are a legitimate target, which has been said about 100 times now
    - Russia blames the West for the rhetoric/situation and doesn’t take responsibility

So on and so forth.

It’s almost comical that he blames unspecific entities in the West for “artificially inflating” the threat, since Russia started the conflict, but on the other side of that Western media is almost exclusively reporting this as “Lavrov warns of nuclear war” without any further context to his comments

Now, I have no problem with the argument that western outlets shouldn’t signal boost everything he says, but they also shouldn’t only focus on a particular line from it then ignore further context to make it more menacing (Russian policy still says nuclear war is unacceptable, etc etc).

It’s another thing that’s designed for his internal audience for sure, but he and the Kremlin know exactly what most outlets are going to run with.

I don’t think it’s helpful, or that the comments make potential nuclear conflict less likely, but I do question whether it should be characterized as a threat or “escalation.” Although I suppose it’s more “threat-y” than if he simply didn’t say anything. But hey, we know that’s not going to happen

So, back to what I said in opening, these headlines would have probably ruined my day 6-7 weeks ago. Now? Not so much.

All that said, just saw an article somewhere (maybe Foreign Policy mag?) that essentially said the threat of nuclear war was zero and that is absolutely not the stance anyone should be taking

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The West won't put boots on the ground. It won't initiate a nuclear exchange.

If one happens, it happens but it won't be our doing and we shouldn't be held hostage by it.

With this potus, anyway. Or the last one or the one before that or the one before that. I am guessing DoD gives a comprehensive presentation on the end result of a nuclear conflict.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, there is a recent video where putin seems to have some symptoms of parkinson's.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Exactly.

And the thing is, Moscow knows that, and knows it’s not happening. I guess when you are Lavrov you gotta keep putting it out there so your people keep hating us and, by extension, supporting you

On another topic, unless something has changed, I’m finding it a bit strange that we haven’t heard much of anything from Russia regarding the Bryansk explosions. Is it just embarrassing for them? Was it sabotage by dissident Russians? Seems like they would have been jumping all over it to blame Ukraine

12. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

There was also all the talk of thyroid cancer. Which makes me wonder if any treatment he is having/has had has affected his nervous system at all

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

This is strange. There have also been reports of unexplained fires at strategic facilities around the country.

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-fires-tver-defense-chemical-iskander-dmitrievsky-1699970

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thyroid cancer is interesting. Could explain his increased paranoia, because he may wonder if someone poisoned him.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Not the first video to surface; but most recent ...

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I am sorry. I did not know that you were going through that. Covid, BLM, Russia nukes, etc. It has been one kick in the gut after another for a few years.

gcbvol and emainvol like this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is a weird solace that I would be dead before ever hearing of a nuclear war breaking out. There wouldn't even be half an hour of dread.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I knew there was a reason property values in this area are so inflated.

IP likes this.
  19. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I've been considering asking your thoughts on current climate situation, but feared going there. How much hope remains?

20. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The Doonesberry "Equally Screwed" Fire in the Fishbowl cartoon keeps popping in my head.