Third Saturday in October Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 15, 2023.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It’s here.

Going to have to have some semblance of a passing game to have a shot.

Of course, can we actually not look like scared 3 year olds in a hostile road environment?

Regardless, I don’t give a damn about the state of Alabama.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This is the biggest gripe I have with Heupel's teams so far. They melt on the road in hostile, noisy environments. Not just struggle, but absolutely melt down and look like they have never played football before.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Bama opens -10. If we can actually bring the focus on the road and Milton doesn’t have a howler, we should be closer than that.

If not…not gonna be a fun week.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Don’t really like this one. That being said it also isn’t like every trip down there since 2007.

Tar Volon likes this.
  5. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

If I were Bama, I'd just stack the box and leave the CBs on man... triple dog dare Joe to throw.
    I anticipate a very low scoring game (not unlike what we just saw) or a blowout ... either way, Bama wins at home.
    Think it'll all just come down turnovers and the kicking game...

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Need some hopium.

TangoUniform likes this.
  7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't trust Joe on the road, if it wasn't for that, I would be calling for a 10 point win.

Saban is no longer equipped to win low scoring rock fights, this Tennessee team kind of is.

TangoUniform and TDVol1989 like this.
  8. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Feels like a game we have to be at least +2 in the turnover margin to actually pull out a W. That and run the Hell out of the ball.

TangoUniform likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see potential paths to victory. It really is a thing where I don't know if Milton will just forget how to football. If he can go out and throw it for 150 to 200 yards, a couple of decent runs, and no picks, I think Tennessee wins. I don't think Tennessee can win with less than that from him. The TAMU level of output won't do it. The South Carolina level might with one less pick.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This is a winnable game. Bama has struggled to protect Milroe (26 sacks in 6 games) and he's rushed for a combined -40 yards in their last two games. The final score may look something like the '05 game, but if we take care of the ball and can establish the run we've got a good chance.

11. yont sum iss?

Imagine getting them 2 years in a row lol. I don’t expect it, but the meltdown would be glorious. My god the meltdown.

12. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

We *can* win if things go right.

Bama OL is pretty bad. Milroe has shown a propensity to make bad decisions under pressure. Milroe certainly is not Tua or Bryce Young. Bama's D is good but not past Bama team invulnerable.

If our DL plays lights out, Bama is stoppable. If our OL plays well, Bama can be run on. Can we do those on the road?

And finally Jermaine Burton is a piece of shit.

Memtownvol likes this.
  13. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I might be way off on this but I'm looking at it like we got a hot goalie (Defense). They start going 3 and out and we wear down their d, by the fourth bama is gonna be in trouble. Of course, we still have to do things right on our end offensively.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What is interesting to me is that we are averaging 33.5 points a game this year. And I am pissed.

Then I look back ...

2020 21.5 ppg
    2019 24.15 ppg
    2018 22.75 ppg
    2017 19.83 ppg

Perhaps I need to re-calibrate my piss-o-meter. I also know the meat of our schedule is coming up, but still.

15. yont sum iss?

16. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

When is the last time a Josh Heupel-coached team entered a game with an over/under in the 40s?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

More I look at things, the more I think the metrics are underselling the Vols' chances. Alabama has given up a LOT sacks this year. And I don't know that I think Heupel is going to let there be another 100 passing yard production.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’d be thinking we get them if it was at home. I’m just not confident in the Joe Milton Experience. Jimbo Fisher ain’t over on the other sideline this week.

Going balls out after the QB is what we do best but I’m worried about this guy’s legs

Tar Volon likes this.
  20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think we lose by 3+ TDs