The 2024 hype-filled make not make it until opening kickoff thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jan 3, 2024.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’m not even going to allow myself the opportunity to contemplate this happening until he’s at the press conference and I hear the actual words from his mouth.

Otherwise, I just assume he will die on the sidelines.

10SEvols, SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Preferably after we beat his ass next year

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That mother[uck fay]er has only lost once to Tennessee in his entire coaching career, hasn't he?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Twice

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2024
  5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I want to see him be a doddering old fool running bammer into the ground before he goes away.

ole_orange and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

If we lose to Oklahoma we might go 7-5. I don’t know why people think they’re good atm. Still a long way to go before week 1 but right now that roster is no better than Kentucky, IMO.

justingroves likes this.
  7. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Hope you're right.

8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

They lost their OC, their starting QB, and iirc their whole line is graduating or in the portal, plus some defensive transfers. And I still don’t buy Venables as a great coach. I really think that that game, if we’re as good as people hope, could be a Bama UGA 2008 type wake up call, that OU can’t just assume they can operate like they have been, and that Tennessee and Josh Heupel aren’t going anywhere. But in reality, I think we’re an 8-4, 9-3 type team next year with that game swinging it, and being a fairly tight game.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Heupel’s road record isn’t awe-inspiring. His best team needed OT to beat Pitt.

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Evacuating the eventual SEC West champion’s stadium by the end of the 3rd quarter was a satisfying high. Need to see more of that type of kick ass football on the road going forward

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

That is a valid reason to be worried. The road record isn’t great. We have also won against West Champ LSU on the road and against a 10 win Kentucky team(I know, I know) in 2021. There are issues to be noted in that regard but at the same time, I feel like NC State is the tougher out as of 01/06/2024. But I haven’t heard nearly the anxiety about that game as I have Oklahoma.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Road wins tough even against a bad UF team at the swamp where they haven’t lost often. At bama. At ga at night. At Mizzou at night. At SC at night with them cheating.
    Still pissed that Ga hasnt had to go to either the swamp or to bama reg season the last several years, yet we had to go play at both this season and every other year.
    Only been 5 road losses in last 2 seasons and 3 of them were to Natl champ, playoff team and top 10 Mizzou who could beat any of these playoff teams.

13. Tar Volon

Last two seasons were what…4-5 on the road?

Take out UGA/Bama on the tough end and Vandy on the easy end, and we’re 3-3 and haven’t won a night game against anybody other than Kentucky.

14. Ssmiff

im just saying we had 2 losses on the road where we should’ve been in position to win, at SC and at UF, but we prepared and performed awfully. SC was their Super Bowl and UF seldom loses sec games at the swamp. 2 stinkers in tough environments over 2 seasons isn’t bad.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Playing on the road at the same level as home is about confidence. QB play breeds confidence. Look at Clausen's road record. Nico will have a big say in how we perform on the road the next couple of years.

16. Tar Volon

I think this is overly optimistic, because it acts like Pitt (because we won) and Mizzou (because they were good) weren’t stinkers, even though we played drastically below our ability level in both games.

In our last nine road games, I’d say we underwhelmed four times (you could honestly argue five with UGA 2022, who was admittedly a monster), were mostly in line with expectations four times, and exceeded expectations once.

17. Ssmiff

Missouri was a stinker but we lose that game vs them 10/10 with those 2 squads. Nico doesn’t matter when you give up 300 yards to an rb.

Memtownvol likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think that's sad but true. Just wasn't happening. Maybe 5 wins out of 100.

19. Tar Volon

The point of all this isn’t “we’re doomed,” just “Nico’s first career road start against a team that should be at least borderline top 25 is a tricky fixture that we’re right to be nervous about.”

I do have trouble being too worried about NC State but they are killing it in the portal and may also be tricky.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

aw man that would suck