The 2024 hype-filled make not make it until opening kickoff thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It’s just deflating to the whole sideline when every player and coach is talking about “we have to get off the field”, but you can’t. Then instead of offense getting a little rhythm and getting back out after a stop, we likely have players and coaches feeling pressed to get a drive going because we only had 3 plays in q1. Similar to baseball when everybody is talking about “we gotta get a hit” and makes it worse because then you aren’t just playing ball anymore.
    Also, these long drives led to fewer possessions and affected 2 games so much, we didn’t get Sampson involved at all. That’s not on Milton.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Doing that consistently bothers me more than giving up 40.

justingroves likes this.
  3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If you’re constantly giving up 15-play drives because either (1) your opponent never makes a mistake, or (2) you let them out of their mistakes with 15-yard passes, then yeah, it’s an issue.

If you force a team to drive the field four yards at a time before they eventually screw up and turn it over or have to kick, that’s fine. Missouri drove the field slowly their first two possessions and got three points. Whatever, I don’t care. When they started breaking off big chunk plays was when it was a problem.

(I will say the depth point is fair—you have to have fitness or pretty strong backups or both).

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

that’s a good thread. Basically, better go 10-2 minimum

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

How could someone believe a 3 loss team would even be a coin flip for the playoffs in a given year? Of course it would be rare.

justingroves likes this.
  7. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Well, how many 3 loss SEC teams would have vehemently argued they deserved a spot above 2 loss teams had there been a playoff at the time? Probably a few I’d guess. Some would probably not be wrong.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sure, but who on Earth could expect to win that argument consistently?

justingroves likes this.
  9. HCKevinSteele

SEC teams. I could come up with a lot of hypotheticals where it wouldn’t be an unreasonable argument.

10. CardinalVol

If we don't win in Norman we have to knock off one of the two AND have no other room for error. We need to win.

Tar Volon likes this.
  11. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

What’s our preseason ranking? Is national CFB media going to push the Nico hype a bit? I’m guessing we’ll be about 15.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Undoubtedly but they aren't going to wave 5 or 6 SEC teams into the playoffs each year.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If you lose three games you don’t really have a valid argument that you should be in the playoffs because the rebuttal is that you lost 3 games. 3 losses isn’t an insignificant amount if you’re trying to make the playoffs.

A-Smith likes this.
  14. HCKevinSteele

I can see it happening where an SEC team would definitely have a valid argument over a 2 loss team. And in every quantifiable way (SOS, SOR, advanced stats, whatever).

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Tough shit. Don’t lose 3 games.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

An argument, but it won't be a travesty if they give the nod to a 2 loss Big 12 or Big 10 team. I expect in a year like this one, LSU could be in. And they'd have strong argument. But it wasn't a performance you could say means they HAVE to be in.

17. HCKevinSteele

Seems like a real meathead idiot stance to have, but whatever.

18. HCKevinSteele

Oh yeah I mean I don’t think anyone’s gonna cry over it. As a 3 loss playoff team your reward in all likelihood will be getting assblasted by a top seed

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Okay.

20. CardinalVol

Now that the PAC 12 is no more and the big 2 have expanded I can definitely see a 3 loss team making it from one of these 2 conferences.

NorrisAlan likes this.