New NCAA Investigation…

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Jan 30, 2024.

1. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Well I hope we return the favor and go in dry. [uck fay] the ncaa

InVolNerable likes this.
  2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

It would almost be as satisfying as a national championship.

tvolsfan likes this.
  3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

It seems the troops have been rallied.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

NorrisAlan and TDVol1989 like this.
  5. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

And on top of all of that, at the very moment that Tennessee may actually be as good or better than its 3 main rivals for the first time in 20 years.

I would say it was a massive strategic error by the NCAA but I’m not sure the folks in Indianapolis could possibly grasp the dynamics at play and the power of Twitter.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Once two strangers climbed ol' Rocky Top
    Lookin' at a NIL deal
    Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top
    Reckon they never will

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Let the Legend that is the Tennessee Volunteers continue and grow........ UT, NCAA Slayers!!!

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Can somebody summarize to my dumbass what the AG lawsuit means, what they are suing for…has there been a charge brought up for us to respond with a lawsuit?
    As everyone here knows, I’m extremely smart, but antitrust, etc, etc…have no idea. This is what is must feel like when Indy watches sports and it’s an awful feeling.

NorrisAlan, IP, SetVol13 and 4 others like this.
  9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

It would be almost as satisfying as when FIFA took bribes to give the World Cup to Russia and Qatar, and then a few years later the USA had the organization's entire leadership arrested.

(And then we got the rights to host the next World Cup)

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

It seems that all of this could be spun into a positive on the recruiting trail. When you can show a kid and his parents that the AG, Governor, University President, Chancellor, and AD will go to bat for them against the NCAA and their right to earn money if necessary, I feel like that would be a big positive for them.

12. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

13. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

The ncaa opened up a big ass can of worms on this one.

TDVol1989 and utvol0427 like this.
  14. CardinalVol

15. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

A bunch of elitist white collar thugs getting called on their bullshit warms my little heart.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Granted it's not directly related, but perhaps the NCAA might have wanted to pay attention to this tweet in order to check the pulse on current attitudes toward the athletic program. Boyd made a tweet supporting the AG is what got me thinking of this. Shouldn't try to take away what's ours again...

NorrisAlan likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not a lawyer.

Antitrust refers to stifling competition that deprives consumers, taxpayers, and workers of the benefits of competition.

Examples: price-fixing, bid rigging, market collusions, etc.

There are more than one way that this may apply to how the NCAA treats student athletes, but one that comes right off the top of my head is that while they can use an athlete's NIL basically freely, they are controlling under what circumstances an athlete can make an NIL deal such that it is antitrust. Imagine if the NFL tried to limit a player's ability to be in commercials. They can't. They can control things like the NFL logo and branding, but not the player's NIL.

Well, the NCAA is essentially saying they get to decide. Good [uck fay]ing luck, this is not even a hard or technical situation for antitrust law. Hence the 9-0 SCOTUS even in these bifurcated times. This just isn't controversial beyond Indianapolis. They got away with it for so long such that they have fooled themselves into thinking they have a good argument.

And I think generally cultural inertia has led to universities and athletes even now giving some deference to the NCAA, but the NCAA has squandered it by doing what they have done now.

I am not a lawyer. One could probably calibrate me, but I think that is the gist.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nico has to feel good that the entire state apparatus is ready to fight at all costs for his right to play and profit from his NIL.

utvol0427 and NorrisAlan like this.
  19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm now wondering how long this has been anticipated.

tvolsfan likes this.
  20. CardinalVol

If Plowman/White tried to meet with NCAA Pres in December, I'd say at least that long.

That lawsuit seemed like it's been sitting under draft mode for a while just needing to add names and dates.

tvolsfan, gcbvol, SetVol13 and 3 others like this.