New NCAA Investigation…

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Jan 30, 2024.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

All we need now is for Dolly to come out and say this is unfair and not right.

Memtownvol, tvolsfan, gcbvol and 2 others like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Keep in mind NCAA could have had the same position/opinion, and handled it totally differently such that it didn't come to this. They could have sent out letters to all the schools which had players with NIL deals that did not conform to current guidance, and let them know that these were example of problematic situations and to avoid them going forward. You know, guidance.

A player has a limited window of eligibility to enjoy a scholarship by NCAA rules, and their first and only real tool for enforcement is to shrink that window or opportunity further. That is draconian and we just accept it because we are used to it.

Memtownvol likes this.
  3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Permanent injunction barring the NCAA from enforcing its NIL-recruiting ban or taking any other action to prevent prospective college athletes and transfer candidates from engaging in meaningful NIL discussions prior to enrollment.” (my emphasis)

[​IMG]

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I stole this

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm guessing probably a little bit longer. But it's obvious the elves in the AG's office weren't up all night rushing it through.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, I am proud of my current state of Virginia for joining Tennessee in this fight.

gcbvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

It isn't stealing, this is nature's bounty.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This was a ticking time bomb that the NCAA decided to poke. Idiots.

utvol0427 likes this.
  9. CardinalVol

Here's the thing.

I don't know of very many people who are against having some guardrails around this. NIL, transfer portal, all of it. There's got to be some guardrails and a feasible calendar that everyone can agree to. For the game itself there has to be. But the NCAA enforcement area can't grasp this isn't 1991 anymore and there is zero appetite for handling things like then. This isn't how to do it. You are going to lose. There is literally one issue in America that is near unanimous bipartisan agreement - and this it is. And the NCAA is on the other side.

justingroves and IP like this.
  10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Add to that you go after our most prized recruit in about a century and you have a recipe for disaster.

warhammer and utvol0427 like this.
  11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I assume that it can be amended to add additional states. I would love to see that happen.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The NCAA is a dying centralized power of bureaucrats. They never go out easy or reasonably and always double down on more and more dumb decisions

13. CardinalVol

Wait, it's "attorneys general" and not "attorney generals"? Or did ESPN alert screw the plural up?

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Oh it will be, just like it would have been bad on the recruiting trail had we not gone this direction.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, nobody wants a situation so wild that it hurts athletes. The NCAA appears to be incapable of leading on this issue. There is virtually no one who wants to see 19 year olds having to sit out a year or for there to be less scholarships available. It's preposterous. Further, the NCAA has no right to dictate the lives of athletes beyond campus. They are taking money right out of their hands with their NIL bullshit.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is Attorneys General.

warhammer likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it is attorneys general. "General" is actually an adjective describing attorney.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

You could see the DOJ look at this. SCOTUS smacked the NCAA down so hard, that them carrying on like this may get their attention.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Attorney’s Generals’s

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think this is really important for perception. It might appear we're a state unhealthily supporting a rogue football program to some by going alone. Another state joining the fray suggests a more legitimate universal concern.