The Never-ending College basketball season thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bostonvol, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I take solace in knowing that their (UK) claim to fame is they won a regular season game against the 2024 SEC Champs.

They may suck that lemon all [uck fay]ing day.

OneForVol likes this.
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They wouldn't have the chance to chirp if we rested starters. Just saying.

3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

You must be young. UK basketball will chirp no matter who plays for UT. At least they have as long as I have been alive.

I just remind the UK alumni I know over here, when they chirp, that they are in the rarified air of the likes of Miss. St., UsC and TAMU. Oh, and the Vols are SEC Regular Season Champs.

IP likes this.
  4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I’m with Indy there’s no point in traveling for the sec tourney. Just forfeit the game and stay home. Hell should probably decline the ncaa tourney bid so we can be rested for next year.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Imagine how sad UK fans would look chirping about beating Freddie Dillione, JP Estrella, and Cameron Carr.

I said sit starters for the UK game because we had already beat them at Rupp, the game had no impact on SEC standings, and because I don't see a ton of difference in the West 1 seed (with Arizona as our 2) and the South 2 seed. In other words, nothing to win.

The SECT obviously offers something to win, and even then, I'm still not sure the 3 games are worth it, if they wear us down for the following week.

Obviously the NCAA tournament is the main thing, and possibly the only thing that matters, imo. If you would have told me resting starters the last 3 games of the season and the SECT could raise our chances to win the NCAA Tourney by 10-15%, I would have strongly considered resting them.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It’s not a better idea now than it was 4 days ago

Poppa T, SetVol13 and OneForVol like this.
  7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

A win Saturday would’ve essentially wrapped up a 1 seed for us.

8. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

The CAA championship is in OT on CBSSN

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't kid yourself.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think so. We would’ve needed probably just one win in Nashville to get locked in. Now, I think an SEC tourney title gets is there or a semifinal win with UNC not winning the ACC.

Go, ugh, Duke!?

11. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

The simplest way to view this number one seed stuff is you have 3 outright conference champions with similar resumes. Which conference is more challenging/deserving of a number one seed? The SEC, ACC, or the PAC12? The answer is obvious.

12. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Kenny Payne fired. Has to be in the conversation for the worst hire by any P5 type program in college basketball history.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Doesn’t appear he took any responsibility

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

His quotes would make Butch blush

15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Don't do this to yourself. The tournament means [uck fay] all for seeding. We proved that a couple years ago.

IP likes this.
  16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

They will move the bar however needed to make sure we don't get that #1 seed.

IP and InVolNerable like this.
  17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

As a non basketball guy, what is the real difference between last #1 and first #2? Are you still in the same bracket? I don't know how the seeding works, so would like to know

18. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I don't think the bracket necessarily remain the same. "Supposedly" there is some consideration given to early rounds to try and get it fairly close so they can get the fans to travel to those early rounds.

From my outside perspective, it seems arbitrary (seedings/brackets) and seems to vary from year-to-year depending on the teams fighting for the 1 seeds.

Remember national basketball tourney (and I think CWS) are the 2 major tourneys that NCAA "run".

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

@IP Mad Dog's got you:

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

. Everyone says we’re in Charlotte either way. If you’re the first #2 you will not be paired with overall #1. Basilio was talking about the difference yesterday between 1 & 2 as far as matchups go as you advance, but I feel like it probably doesn’t make that much difference because you just don’t know how other games will play out