Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

When you get to the point where you can't find enough officials because it's not worth dealing with asshole parents, when dealing with kids especially, is a problem.

My favorite kids at hockey camps were the ones who's parents dropped them off and went home, honestly.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

TSSAA is having official shortages too.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I coach u9 baseball and u7 soccer. The asshole parents seem about the same as when I was playing, something like 35 years ago.

And youth leagues, in my experience, have always had difficulty finding enough adults--coaches, sponsors, and officials--to fill the need. I don't see the change. Here, baseball pays umpires $10-15/game, depending on age range. Soccer pays $8-12. I'm inclined to think that, if there is a shortage of officials, it is because the compensation is very low for the time, work, and skill level required of the job.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I tossed a 6yr old out of YMCA girls' soccer practice yesterday.

I should feel bad, but I don't. I'm prolly gonna get in trouble.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Grasshopper league Super Bowl tonight. Been a fun year, and should be a good game tonight.

6. CardinalVol

Wrestling for the first time this year. Sonar so good other than honestly thinking about 10 percent of these parents think their kids will be in the WWE when they grow up.

There's about 2 or 3 of the kids that are probably already roiding.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That’s pretty amazing.

You have to be a real winner if you want your 5 year old in the WWE

8. CardinalVol

I've been around youth sports a lot and this is easily the most interesting parent crowd yet. Definitely a different breed attracted here.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I have one son trying lacrosse this year. I know nothing about the sport, but am excited to watch and learn.

10. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I played and enjoyed the hell out of it.

11. CardinalVol

Good luck, it looks fun.......

.....just note what he might become.

12. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

So I’m pretty sure the best things that could happen to teachers/HS coaches and officials is just not to have school based teams and let their kids try out for good teams/pay to play.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

back to tball time and my wife has again told people i'll draft their kid.

[​IMG]

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Fire wife.

droski likes this.
  15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Youth sports would be immediately and substantively transformed for the enormous benefit of all if parents were prohibited from doing anything beyond cheering encouragement at games.

smokysbark likes this.
  16. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Bleachers should be behind left and right field.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My son's soccer team makes the parents sign an agreement that they will not coach the players during practice or the games, but simply cheer them on.

I will admit that I have broken that agreement from time to time. It is hard not to when you see your son not doing what he is supposed to be doing. Then my wife punches me in the ribs.

Tenacious D likes this.
  18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

the only issue I've had recently has been club soccer where they have basically don't care about winning and tell us its been too big of a point for kids in the US. They want to train them to be better individual players, blah blah. My son in 2 years at age 10 played for 14 different coaches and @ 80 games and never had the same team twice. There is zero chance that helps my son be a better player on the field, plus, he's a competitor and hates to lose. I do not want him to lose that drive, that these new younger coaches seem to want to take away.

19. CardinalVol

Have fun with that.

I'd just tell them they were all gone when you were going to draft them.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The point of this method, though, is to stop the lobbing the ball over top to your fast player. It actually leads to better players overall vs just kicking it to your fastest kid.