Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Awesome to see them all involved in something personal or with other kids. Very important imo and lost on some with kids spending way to much time alone online, texting or whatever.

justingroves and InVolNerable like this.
  2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Started coaching because my oldest didn't want to play anything unless I did. He's now at the point where he thinks every tip/critique/suggestion is coming from Dad instead of coach and gets answered with an, "I know!"

If you know, then you should've [uck fay]ing done it properly. If you don't know, then shut the [uck fay] up and listen so you can do it properly next time. I may need to massage the verbiage a bit, though. may seem a bit harsh for a second grader.

3. Ssmiff

It’s blurry because I had to zoom but the little blue jersey on the left made a business decision here and coach understood. That’s 295lbs heading to the goalie and 142 lbs isn’t ideal there. So for those who don’t know much about the intracies of the game, he’s trying to knock the ball out of his stick or flip the handle or just get in on his hands to disrupt a shot, none of which worked as he scored.

Attached Files:

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And Daddy and Mommy are driving a ton over town

justingroves likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Today is our annual "Learn the snap count" day at practice where we teach the snap count by them running 30s at the end of practice and making them back up 5 yards every time someone jumps.

It's a favorite day for the players and parents......not so much for the players.

PilotFlyingJ and justingroves like this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Eh, it's effective

7. CardinalVol

Jahvin Carter from Alcoa hit the 3,000 point mark for his high school career last night. That's pretty dang impressive.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

coaching your kids sucks yet i still do it every year.

9. CardinalVol

JaJuan Smith new head coach at Catholic.

justingroves likes this.
  10. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

If it’s not already in his repertoire I was pretty deadly with the move where I pretty much let them pass / think they’ve beat me and then when they prepare to shoot either rip it away from behind or come down with a vengeance on their forearm where there’s no padding.

11. Ssmiff

Welp, at #1 McCallie tonight and our lsm,long stick middie, is sick. Coaches don’t like the backup option so my son in the rain at #1 who has a 6’2 230 kid going to Georgetown, is playing lsm with a long pole and has not practiced with it before.
    UH. OH.

12. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Gonna be a long night. I’m sure he’s getting better coaching than I could give but one thing to remember is to take full advantage of that long stick. Constantly harass your man. Poke his ribs. Slap his wrists, hard. See what ref will let you get away with on checks. Get away with all you that you can. Much easier to defend with that long stick.

Ssmiff likes this.
  13. CardinalVol

17 year old from Rossview dies during a pick up game last night in Clarksville. So sad and scary.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My 9 year old son had a 17 pitch at bat, he fouled 12 straight pitches off at 2-2 before hitting a double in the gap.

Poppa T, VolDad and NorrisAlan like this.
  15. CardinalVol

Sons best friend just ran the 1600 in 4:58.

He’s 13.

16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Youngest, HS senior grandson finished his HS regular tennis season, 14-1. Not too shabby for a kid that did not pick a racket up until 9th grade.

His only loss was to the team whose kids have been playing since 5 and their home court is a clay court Private Tennis club with coaches who actually play tennis, not the HS coach that teaches PE and played Volleyball.

Watching your grandkids playing a sport you never played makes watching them alot easier (on you and them).

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Congratulations to him

Poppa T likes this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is why my wife played soccer

Poppa T likes this.