100 Most Famous Athletes in the World

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jun 1, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's valid. "I don't know who that guy is, therefore the list is dumb" is not.

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I don't know. I don't follow soccer, but I know the Ronaldos and Messis. I think it's safe to say that a sport following person who couldn't place which sport someone in the top 100 of most famous sports people played is indicative that they don't really belong.

I've never heard of either of those guys kb listed. If they were so famous as to make to 10 worldwide, I should've at least heard their name before this at some point. Even in passing; an ESPN/yahoo sports side story at the very least, no?

Top ten should be name recognition beyond people who actively follow sports.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

So you flat didn't watch the last World Cup?

4. InVolNerable

I watched in passing. After googling the two, Rodriguez wasn't nearly as mentioned as messi/ronaldo/Gotze. If you're world famous, your name carries past 2 years after the world cup, even to the lay follower

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

So if sites catering to north america don't mention them, the other 6.7 billion people can't be aware of them?

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Do you really think people in Europe, Africa, and South America give a shit about Kevin Durant?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  7. InVolNerable

I don't give a shit about Durant. But I've heard of him.

I don't give a shit about Messi. But I've heard of him.

I don't give a shit about Djokovic. But I've heard of him.

I'm not saying they don't belong in the top 100. I'm saying if they're considered a top 10 worldwide sports star, they should be at least have been on a "that name sounds familiar" basis by the average sports follower in the biggest eclectic sports nation in the world.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Well yeah. But we aren't talking about popularity in the US and Canada. We're talking world wide. James Rodriguez shined in what is by far the worlds biggest sporting event and now plays for one of the most recognizable sports teams ever. People who follow soccer know exactly who he is.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

If we're going by some familiarity of the figures by most of the world for the list, then I don't see how any NFL players are in the top 100.

It's a hard list to determine and the fact that this researcher uses two American based social media devices (Even if they have a strong international presence) probably has some undue influence on the list, as well.

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Again, you can't just go based on how well known they are in the USA. In all honesty, I'm not sure there are 10 active athletes that are extremely well known on every continent. With a few exceptions, almost everyone on that list is going to be relatively unknown in certain parts of the world.

11. Unimane

Wait, Alex Morgan is #55? In the world? You're shitting me.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Our media is worldwide to the point that I have to think they are better known worldwide than Indian cricket players.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I bet a lot of people in Europe know who he is. They like them some NBA

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

No doubt

15. hatvol96

Europe and South America both have huge basketball followings.

16. hatvol96

Good looking woman who plays the world's most popular sport? I can see it.

17. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Does the list include an animal? I remember espn and their top 100 athletes of all-time and they had a horse somewhere in the 30's. A ****ing horse.

18. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

And yes I realize this isn't the best, rather the most popular.

19. Unimane

Possibly, but there are exceptionally few countries that give two shits about women's soccer.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

In certain countries, sure, but I've never gotten the sense that any active NBA player outside LeBron (now that Kobe is gone) was extremely popular around the world. Even with Durant winning the MVP a few years ago, I would think number 6 is a stretch.