100 Most Famous Athletes in the World

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jun 1, 2016.

1. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

How the hell is that dispositive on the subject of worldwide fame? The top cricket players have easily double the following of any American football player, but the latter is more "world famous" because he does it in America?

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yeah, what is he trying to do, pass off the idea that Zimbabwe and America are of equal importance? Did IP hack his account?

3. kidbourbon

Essentially

4. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

If Player A has 2 billion fans, and Player B has 400 million, I can pretty comfortably say which one is more famous worldwide without having to ask which one plays in America.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Zimbabwe has less people, so no I wouldn't say it would have more power than America in global popularity matters. However, if someone was a household name in all of Africa, they're more famous than someone only known in the US. Because that is over 1 billion people.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That is myopic.

India and China are many times as populated as the USA. And soccer players come to play in mls and are amazed that they can go out to eat and no one even bothers them or even looks at them.

Anywhere else in the world they would be hounded.

So, they are not relevant because we never heard of them?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think you underestimate our global media presence. I bet if you put a photo of tom Brady and that cricket player the average non American/Indian/Britain is more likely to say "that's that famous American" than recognize said cricket player.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I think you underestimate the popularity of cricket around the world.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think you're really, really wrong.

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

To be fair, I really don't think cricket gets much attention outside of countries colonized by the British in the last 150 years. But in all honesty, there probably should be more soccer players in the second half of the list.

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Wait. . . James is ahead of Zlatan? Even with Sweden missing out on the last World Cup, I would've thought Zlatan was top ten.

That said, I agree with everyone who's watched any soccer in saying that James absolutely deserves a high place on this list.

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

What sport does he play?

13. Tar Volon

They're both soccer players. Zlatan is Swedish and is one of the best strikers in the world. James is Colombian and won the Golden Boot (most goals) and Goal of the Tournament at the last World Cup. He's a big name for anyone who has even passing familiarity with soccer (which is most of the world)

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Which is reflected in the poll as so many NFL players are on the list for a sport that few in the rest of the world give two shits about. Being famous world wide, though, is not completely dependent on the whims of the American sporting culture and media.

15. chavisut

I was joking but I've never heard of either.

One day I'll follow soccer. Always next year.

16. Tar Volon

Just for kicks, I read the list to my wife and asked her to guess the sports for the top 15. She got 9/15.

An American non-sports fan was able to identify the sports played by:
    Ronaldo
    LeBron
    Messi
    Durant
    Tiger
    James
    Kobe
    Mahendra Singh Dhoni
    Usain Bolt

was not able to identify the sports played by:
    Neymar
    Federer
    Virat Kohli
    Nadal
    Bale
    Mickelson

17. chavisut

I don't recognize James, Dhoni, Neymar, Kohli, or Bale.

My generic guess would be soccer for all though.

18. Tar Volon

To be completely fair, she only guessed Ronaldo (Spanish-ish), Durant (American), and Dhoni (Indian) based on their names.

I recognize 13 of the top 15, and would guess the Indian names to be cricket players.

19. kidbourbon

Right

They didn't write the lyrics "if you can make it here you can make it anywhere" about Kinshasa or Kansas City.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

And most of the world is unaware of that song.