2001 Tennessee 34 Florida 32 (Vols Drain the Swamp)

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, May 2, 2012.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Yes. In fact, I'm pretty sure the interception return that was called back happened on the drive following the return. If they get the call right on James' return, Florida gains 7 points, and I don't think there would have even been a chance for the interception.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's why I hate the [uck fay]ing rule. As it's written, anytime a player brushes a QB's helmet it can be called.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes, what really gets me about that game is you had Harrell playing one armed for Inky and a shitty rule screws it up.

4. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

shut up

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hahaha

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Checked the old ESPN play-by-play, and it was a long return but not a TD return. He was tackled at the Tennessee 32, giving Leak plenty of room to throw a pick.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You gotta wonder if we go into that game full strength if everything changes.

8. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

2006 was actually a really good year, and could have been outstanding if not for injuries.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think ESPN play by play gives you the result of the play before the penalty was assessed. I'm pretty sure he went all the way.

10. Tar Volon

It says "returned 57 yards to TENN 32, Florida penalty 46 yards illegal block accepted. Ball at FLA 22"

It sounds like they're trying to give the result of the play before penalty. But I've evidently excised that play from my memory.

11. Tar Volon

And even with injuries we're looking at 10-2 (and a berth in either the Sugar or Citrus) if the refs see Russell's fumble.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

In many ways, that one blown call completely changed the fate of lsu. They call that correctly and miles is fired.

That said, its hard to get too mad about that when you give up a 8 minutes game winning drive at home.

14. Tar Volon

We had such a good defense to be completely incapable of holding leads against either LSU or Florida.

15. Tar Volon

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm watching the 01 FL game right now. One thing really sticks out: Verne wasn't half bad before senility took over, IMO.

17. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

And we also got royally screwed by an incomplete-pass-should've-been-a-fumble call by the stripes in the 3rd quarter.

Then we got screwed again on a shoud've-been-a-fumble-Grossman-was-called-down play.

How the freaking bloody hell did we win this football game? Boy, how things have changed around here.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  19. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Travis Stephens.

20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

One of the best single game performances I can remember.

MaconVol likes this.