2012 BCS NCG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hallowed_hill, Oct 5, 2011.

1. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

The national title race should start to shape up through the month of October, and I figured we could use a thread to talk about it as the season unfolds.

At this point, all eyes are fixed on Nov. 5, as the Alabama-LSU game has the looks of the college football game of the year. Beyond bama-lsu, it's a wide open race. Let the debates begin.

2. hallowed_hill

What got me thinking about this is the 'watch out for wisconsin' talk after their convincing win over Nebraska. I'm far from convinced they'll run the table, but being from WI and a huge Badger fan, of course, I would love to see them play for a title. There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, however, if a team with this schedule plays for the title. What say y'all?

09/01/11 vs. UNLV Camp Randall Stadium W, 51-17
    09/10/11 vs. Oregon State Camp Randall Stadium W, 35-0
    09/17/11 vs. Northern Illinois Chicago, Ill. (Soldier Field) W, 49-7
    09/24/11 vs. South Dakota Camp Randall Stadium W, 59-10
    10/01/11 vs. Nebraska * Camp Randall Stadium W, 48-17
    10/15/11 vs. Indiana * Camp Randall Stadium 11:00 a.m. CT
    10/22/11 at Michigan State * East Lansing, Mich. 7:00 p.m. CT
    10/29/11 at Ohio State * Columbus, Ohio 7:00 p.m. CT
    11/05/11 vs. Purdue * Camp Randall Stadium TBA
    11/12/11 at Minnesota * Minneapolis, Minn. TBA
    11/19/11 at Illinois * Champaign, Ill. TBA
    11/26/11 vs. Penn State * Camp Randall Stadium TBA

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

oklahoma will lose to someone. clemson will lose to someone. ditto on stanford. wisconsin might run the table. alabama or lsu will go into the NC game even with one loss.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If Clemson gets by Georgia Tech, they have a really good shot at going undefeated, unless South Carolina gets something figured out at QB. They would be annihilated if they managed to get to the BCS Championship. If they get left out, they'll face the Big East champ and destroy them, then claim they should share the NC.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I feel like they'll beat Texas and then blow it against A&M or Okie State.

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I've had Alabama v. Wisconsin since week 1. Last week certainly strengthened that belief.

I think Oklahoma will lose...not sure who'll beat 'em though...maybe Okie State. Feel the same about Stanford. Clemson should lose at least 2....they're good, but not that good. Boise will run the table...would love to see them get LSU in a bowl.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I think South Carolina will beat them. Georgia Tech or UNC may get them as well.

8. hallowed_hill

You think the loser of that game could go with one loss? Could easily make the argument that they're the most deserving if everyone else gets knocked off somewhere. The winner of the game would then have huge gripe, as they'd have to play an extra game to make it.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That would be a travesty. Everyone thought OSU and Michigan were clearly the two best back in 2006. We saw how that worked out. That game is the first round of the college football playoffs. Win or lose hope.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

can't quote posts for some reason. . .

i think the winner of the sec goes to the NC game. i assume that will also be the winner of the lsu/alabama game. i can't see two sec teams. clemson has an easy schedule, but they are a little to cal-ish to run the table. as for bosie i'd like to see them play bama and then lose by 50 and we can end all this nonsense.

11. coach799

coach799 New Member

LSU/ALA game will be for the national championship game for all intents and purposes. Those two defenses are head and shoulders above every one else. They both lack a dominant QB but that game will get NC game ratings, especially in the southeast. I know I won't miss it.

All the other claims are people thinking with their hearts. I think Alabama wins because of Richardson.

GO VOLS!!

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

mccarron isn't bad really. i've seen him make some very nice throws.

13. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

It wouldn't be the first time a team that failed to win their conference or failed to even appear in their conference's title game made it to the BCS NCG.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I thought he was implying they'd be playing the SEC Champ. That would be ridiculous. Why did everyone else even play the season?

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Richardson's nice, but venue is the x-factor for me.

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I agree, but you could certainly make the case that LSU and Bama are the two best teams in the country. You put a playoff in place, and they might meet in a championship game. Hope to see it happen soon.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just don't see the need for a playoff in that instance. They will play soon enough and all the chips will be on the table.

18. hallowed_hill

I meant, say Bama wins and goes undefeated. Everyone else loses along the way. LSU is best 1-loss team left at that point. Rematch?

19. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

LSU would probably be high enough in the rankings (computer, polls, etc) thanks to their schedule, so I could actually see it happening. I'm with kpt though in that I wouldn't want to see it for the same reason Michigan shouldn't have been given a rematch against Ohio State in 2006. They already had their shot, and lost.

20. hallowed_hill

So did everyone else. Why should LSU (hypothetically) be punished for losing to the #1 team in the country?