2012 BCS NCG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hallowed_hill, Oct 5, 2011.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

There can only be a third if the two teams that play for the title both failed to win the conference.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Now it is just getting ridiculous.

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

The quality of the major bowl games seems to have dropped immensely. I remember when it seemed like all the major bowls had at least one really good team, and there were a lot of good matchups. Now, it seems like a lot of the games are going to be hard to watch.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

This is correct. The only way a conference can have three teams in the BCS is if it has two teams ranked 1 & 2 and neither is conference champion.

Arkansas was barred by rule.

There is a link to the rule somewhere on this forum, but I don't remember where.

5. cotton

No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections, unless two non-champions from the same conference are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings.

BCS selection procedures

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've heard of two proposed rule changes to the BCS.

1. Do away with the two teams max rule.

2. Only use the BCS to select #1 and #2, and let the conferences go back to the pre-Bowl Coalition days of working out all conference deals.

7. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

That makes sense considering they now have a completely separate/new bowl game for the national championship rather than just rotating it among the big four.

Thus, it won't happen.

8. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Well ole T Boone Pickens is going to have an investigation into this BCS mess. That, along with the formation of super conferences will kill the current system.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

With my hate for Alabama put to the side, I think the BCS got it right. I'm not a fan of allowing a team that not only did not win their division but didn't have to play in a conference championship in, but the goal is to get the two best teams in the country in the championship game and that's why I think they got it right. Sure there's a case for other teams, but at the end of the day LSU and Alabama are the two best teams this year. A one loss SEC team (especially one that loses to the #1 ranked team in OT by 3 points) is going to trump any other one loss team in the country. That's just the way I see it.

11. It might not be a laughing matter for the Bammers. I think T. Boone is convinced there is a money trail.

Pickens is a VERY powerful man. No telling what a highly paid private investigator might dig up on a filthy program like Bammer. All of which I'm sure Mr. Pickens would happily share with the NCAA.

"So, Mr. Richardson. How do you, an unemployed college student with two children under the age of five, pay child support and afford that new Yukon with $5000. worth of customized wheels?"

12. I doubt there is a money trail that got Bammer to the game.

I have NO DOUBT there are money trails all over the place to their players. Bammer thinks cheating is their birthright. The last time around the NCAA told them, "don't come back!" I would dance in the street if they got the death penalty.

13. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

And when these super conferences are formed and they decide to part ways with the NCAA, it'll become a more even playing ground.

14. cotton

Pickens is a ding-a-ling who thinks being able to run a gas company makes him expert on everything.

Yes. Bama's loss is better. Bama's wins are better. The system is designed to give somebody's cockamamie idea of who the most deserving teams are a chance to play each other, and it worked.

15. No matter what you think of him, Pickens is a powerful fellow with a lot of powerful friends. He also has the money to hire top-notch private investigators to uncover some serious dirt on another program (Bammer).

Oklahoma State has more wins vs. teams with winning records and more wins vs ranked teams than Bama. Oklahoma State lost in double-overtime on the road. Bama lost in overtime at home. Tell us again how Bama's wins are better, and the system "worked".

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A ding-a-ling with a lot of money and powerful friends is still a ding-a-ling

17. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

if that's true, Texas and OU would have been busted years ago. I'm not saying they do anything especially dirty, but just like all schools, they skate the edge. Pickens' would have already had investigator's picking those two schools apart.

18. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Alabama's defense would shut OK St down and probably land Brandon Weeden in the hospital. The program is designed to get the best two teams in the country playing each other and that's exactly what the BCS did.

19. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

It doesn't matter where it was played or how many overtimes it went to - the loss to the (6-6) Iowa St Cyclones is what separates OK St. and Alabama. Plain and simple

20. cotton

I'll take Bama's wins against Penn St, Arkansas, Florida, Miss St, and Auburn over OSU's, but the biggest factor that you forgot to address was that nasty loss against a 3-6 Iowa St. team.

Yes. If your greatest threat is that a booster from another school will hire a private investigator to justify his sour grapes, you are probably in pretty good shape.