2014 Ballot Initiatives

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Nov 3, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

oh it's much more of a middle finger than I normally give you.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Biggest reason why I quit.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I busted my ass to pay off all my students loans within 3 years of graduation. If there was a mass loan forgiveness program, I'd flip my shit.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

What if it was a lowering of interest rates?

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Then it wouldn't be a loan forgiveness program.

6. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I worked while going to school and my partner worked 3 jobs after graduating to pay off student loans sooner. What's really egregious is the student debt racked up by folks who had no business going to college in the first place.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just reaching across the aisle here.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not if we are going to eat the difference. I guess I could go along with some sort of loan guarantee program for people to refinance, but we have that for part of it and it already costs us billions.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Anything that puts the expense on the tax payers is wrong. They voluntarily on their own took out the debt. It's their responsibility to pay it back.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I can't lie, it'd be great for me, as I have about $60,000 in student loans solely from my graduate school days (worked 3 jobs as an undergrad for no debt leaving UT). I had a tsunami of bad luck and self-inflicted issues from divorce, job loss right as the economic crisis kicked in, then later again and both times the job required me to get a degree in the field in order to get back in the market. So, shit happens, but I can definitely see the problematic concerns of a wholesale loan forgiveness program.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

60,000 for a teaching job is crazy. I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

As long as interest rates weren't lower than inflation I don't see any immediate problems with such a program. In this situation I wouldn't see it any differently than refinancing your loans at a potentially more favorable rate. However, if you agreed to borrow money, you should have to pay it back.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

My wife has about that same amount from grad school at a private university. It sucks to have to pay back such a ridiculous amount, but she signed the paperwork so its our responsibility.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Some of my wife's friends from pharmacy school has some crazy loan debt.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can we change bankruptcy laws so that all debt is treated the same then?

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Thanks, like I said, some of it was dumb decisions I made and some were things like losing your job because a new school is being built, requiring less teachers at the current school and those still working on finishing their teaching requirements got the boot first. Then, I decided to bring my future wife from Peru and navigate the immigration process. Needless to say, 2006-09 was a crazy time for me.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'm OK with protecting the tax payer.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

As Obama found out with his loan forgiveness program, it's extremely hard to figure out who's in trouble because of bad luck and having a vocation that helps people which doesn't happen to earn a lot of money to people who got there because of abject stupidity or greed. seems like there should be some professions that have access to better rates though.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

if it comes down to tax payers being responsible for the debt instead of private entities that took on the risk, sure.

But I don't know why we'd change the laws that are in place for a contract between two private parties that doesn't effect the tax payer.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

What about tax payers that are owed money that isn't student loans? That student loans are treated differently than all others is horseshit. Either all loans can be discharged or none can, imo.