2019 Recruiting Class

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by justingroves, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

More and more middle school programs are lifting now.

It’s more about time under the bar than anything.

I have a few 8th graders benching over 200 pounds.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Working out. It's more common than you think. We had multiple players who could bench 400 and one who maxed around 450 back in early 90s, and no one on the team got a Div 1 offer.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A lot of time under a bar. We had guys pushing 300 and we didn't have a very high end weight lifting routine

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

its a different ballgame. Seriously my son is just about to turn 12 and has had more footwork/agility/route running work than I did in all of HS. Kids are so much bigger and better trained, and they aren't waiting to lift or train. Many don't play multiple sports anymore so they get that weight room time. Used to, the best football players, were also the best basketball, baseball and track guys too. Now there are more athletes and specialized.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The best athletes are still your all around guys that can play multiple sports.

Specialization is more about coaches egos than the athletes.

6. Ssmiff

coaches love multisport kids, but unfortunately by jr and sr year around here, not as many cross over football/basketball/baseball

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’ve never met a basketball coach yet that loves their kids on a football field or baseball diamond

chavisut likes this.
  8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

My baseball coach hated that I played soccer.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, the childish hoarding of athletes is really common among coaches these days. I coach a "minor" sport and we suffer from the coaches of basketball and, especially, football trying to steer kids away from us towards AAU shit or 7 on 7 competitions , whatever. Lots of battles there.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I feel bad for coaches in the sports that don't have the pull other sports do. One of my good friends was an amazing wrestler and our soccer coach got him to give it up. He went to state as a freshman and sophomore in wrestling which was amazing. His best scholarship offer in soccer was a crappy D2 school. He ended up going to Ball State and playing no sports. I think he regrets letting our coach talk him into soccer only so he could play year round.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Parents don't help. The husband of one of my cousins was railing about some of the sports at the kids' school. It was just before the kids were set to enrole. He called out cross country by name during his mini-tirade then asked me if our kids played any sports about two sentences later to which I replied, cross country. The crawfishing was impressive.

Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Even if my kids never set foot on a cross country team, I may have had to say that.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Kids down here play their sport nearly all year. There's so many travel teams and camps in addition to the school teams. It exhausting

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

As a parent, I think I would have to step in and say "No."

15. Ssmiff

we'll be doin to track, lacrosse and 7 v 7 this year. Hope it works out. Lacrosse is really a short season and basically march-may. Don't plan on doing travel with any unless some summer.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

A lot of good schools give lacrosse scholarships

Memtownvol likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

if any guys here have daughters that play sports, get them in lacrosse or golf if possible. I have a recruiting buddy that says $ for girls golf and lacrosse just sits there every year. If a girl can shoot below 80 consistently, that's all that's needed to get some help from some schools. Not big D1, but still. Friend of mines daughter just graduated from Stanford and played lacrosse there. From Memphis. Started in 10th grade.

18. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Warren Burrell is committing tomorrow. He’s a stud. He’s a smooth lockdown corner. Not highly rated but idgaf.

IP likes this.
  19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

My son was actually planning to play football at that point, but I didn't bother to point it out.

20. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor