2020-ish Tokyo Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jul 22, 2021.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

After the jacked up last two seasons in the NBA, if I am a USA NBA player, I am telling the national team to find someone else, I have to take a nap.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

USA water polo just came back from a 3 goal deficit in the second to win behind 5 goals from Alex Bowen.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My traumatized Vol Brain saw "5" and "Alex Brown" in that sentence and about punched the screen.

Thanks, Dooz. Thanks.

justingroves likes this.
  4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

USA getting murdered in the pool. Even Ledecky losing now.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Got the men's 4x100 at least

6. Unimane

Dressel looked surprisingly iffy, for him, but the US got the win. That's always a difficult relay.

A-Smith likes this.
  7. Unimane

Every four years I remain astonished at the level of strength and endurance required for water polo. The player whose position is to chicken fight right in front of the goal for the entire game reminds me of when some asshole thought it was fun to dunk your head repeatedly under water in the pool as a kid. I hated those dudes.

8. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

US Olympic basketball goes one of two ways for 2024 after what appears to be headed for disaster this cycle.

1) A resurgence of interest in playing among the biggest stars in the game a la 2008.

or

2) Everyone checks out and we regress to playing NBA benchwarmers, or perhaps even top tier college guys, and we get our asses handed to us.

9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Is it bad that I don’t really care either way?

I totally understand why star players have little interest in the Olympics.

justingroves likes this.
  10. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I believe the latter scenario that I offered is the more likely one.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I mean I’m not even a star player and I don’t care

12. Unimane

Will you care if we keep losing?

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

No.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Not even a little bit.

lylsmorr likes this.
  15. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Not me, personally. The sport would have to become way more balanced, globally.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We are also in kind of a weird era where a number of the best NBA players are not from the US. Jokic, Embiid, Giannis, Luka.. you could even throw Gobert and Ben Simmons in there, if you want. That's what, the last 3 MVP's, the best Center in the game, the guy most consider the best player in the game, the last 4 DPOY's, and the guy who should have won DPOY this past season.

There's no doubt in my mind that we'd still win if we added Steph, LeBron, AD, etc. to the roster, but how many more could those guys realistically compete in beyond this year? And nearly every top tier player who skipped was battling injury at the end of this past NBA season.

Younger guys will need to step up, at some point.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Swimming, track, women's gymnastics. Don't care about anything else.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, there's really no excuse for us to be losing Olympic basketball games. Luka managed to drop 48 points and carry Slovenia to victory. We really don't have an excuse.

19. Unimane

We have lost 5 of our last 8 games. I know the rosters aren't optimal, but it's more competitive than we'd like to admit. I mean, we had to fight tooth and nail in 2008 and 2012 with lineups much better than we could put together today.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I was honestly thinking of something closer to hockey, at the least.