2021 Vols

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by **TDCVOL**, Dec 5, 2020.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You are probably right but the calls have to be made.

2. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Urban would only take over at a low-stress job or an immediate contender.

If his health issues are legit, Texas would be the worst place in the country for him. People think Tenn has a toxic fanbase and boosters... Texas is worse. Urban isn't being a $10mil/year dog-and-pony-show at Austin.

Same with Florida State, Michigan and Tennessee. Storied programs (more or less) that have a lot of funds, a lot of fans, a lot of wealthy boosters and not much football sense between them.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

to be clear, if we are offering a top of the tier coach less than 10 million, to match Saban, then we are just screwing around in talking to them anyway. if any of you thinks we are getting a huge name for less than a new high salary mark, you're dreaming. to say, "let's get urban" is to say let's spend 10 million a year on a coach plus perhaps 4 or 5 more for staff. that is what you are saying, unless you don't see how this racket works.

and if you think that is crazy high, maybe one can better understand how we keep getting bargain bin coaches.

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Do they? I'd rather throw 6-7 mill at Campbell in the hypothetical world where we're gonna spend money.

5. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I would throw 6 million a year at Campbell all day long. He likes it in Ames but money talks. He's my #1 and has been for a long time. IMO he's THE GUY that could come here and make us legit quickly. I mean he did invoke the name Johnny Majors when talking about his success there in an interview last week. Maybe he's sending us hidden signals. Or I'm pipe dreaming. But I admittedly have a huge coach crush on Campbell. I have cheered for Iowa St since his second year there. I watch most of their games when I can. The dude is legit.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He won 1 SEC game without Dobbs and never beat an SEC west team. It's amazing how 9-4 can be had without beating anyone worth a damn

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Nix would be alright somewhere away from Malzahn, I think. Auburn runs 8 plays

8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Yeah, I think the price we'd have to pay for a coach of that caliber is going to be really high. And I still don't know if they'd bite. I get that he's a [uck fay]ing dumbass, I agree that he doesn't deserve to be here, but I'd really rather him stay here and just not get extended(how we extended him this year I'll never understand) until his clock runs out or he actually wins something. People will point to the roster and how it won't get better, and that's a good point, but with the portal and class limits, if you take the time to do due diligence and at least get your ducks in a row to the point you can make that ludicrous offer to a can't miss guy, or at least have a good list of guys that have had success that you've vetted, you can make up the talent gap to most of the conference in a year or two, just by the allure of PT. And by some chance the idiot gets us back to mediocre without winning anything, you've given him six years, which is more than enough time to give to someone who hasn't won anything.

I dunno, I get that you guys are impatient, I get that everyone is, but more than anything, this time I want a rock solid plan in place before he's fired. I'm sick of paying buyouts, and the more we get stuck in this endless loop the weaker the program becomes.

VOLinDAWGland and justingroves like this.
  9. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Exactly, which is why it is laughable that an above average coach couldn’t win 10 games here.

A-Smith, Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I still believe a regular off season and Guarantano never starts a game in 2020. Once this team lost a few, everyone went into [uck fay] it mode.

I will never, for the life of me, understand why Bailey didn't get the start after UGA, or at least after UK. I liked what Pruitt was doing up until the 2nd half of the UGA game.

I think he can consistently win 8 or 9 here still, but he's got to get the young guys on the field quicker

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm backing your point up, look at some of Butch's losses and how he just flat out choked. The 15 and 16 seasons should have been special.

Memtownvol and chavisut like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

we just sure are crazy bad at hiring and firing, I guess.

ptclaus98 likes this.
  13. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

It is inexplicable that we gave him an extension this year, even looking at his tenure in a vacuum. But ESPECIALLY if you look at the past decade.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yes, but I would definitely call Campbell as well. He looks to be the real deal.

chavisut likes this.
  15. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Fify

16. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I just want Pruitt gone. I cannot wish any success on him here. It will just erode after any brief Gene Chizik QB moves. I can’t even think rationally about CJP. I’m there.

VolDad likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I would rather Pruitt win his last 2 and win 8 or 9 next year but dont see it happening with current talent, position coaching and scheming or adjustments.
    And i dont buy that he doesnt want to use the middle of the field. I buy he doesnt want to use it because qb the last 3 seasons cant be trusted to make the right read and not hit an lb in the numbers when we are driving, which then turns into a momentum change and soph laden defense unable to mentally and physically handle the quick change, over and over.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Pruitt needs a QB and an offense, but if he’s trying to micromanage it, neither will ever happen.

Memtownvol likes this.
  19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I dont know that he has time to say no to playcalls as they are being called in and change the call.
    But think about it, of you are playing JG at qb, how often do you want him staring over the middle of the field and throwing late, high or right into coverage. Thats why we use those long sideline throws outside the hashes and fades, as there is only one defender to read sideline cant pick it

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I agree, but, again, it’s year 3. Pruitt made his own bed

TDVol1989 and Memtownvol like this.