A big part of the defense's problems...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by g8terh8ter_eric, Nov 3, 2012.

1. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Outside having an incompetent DC, is that our offense scores WAY too quick. We won the game today, but only had the ball for 22:28. I understand that you score when you score, but you have to control the clock in the SEC to win this conference. I don't think Chaney understands this.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Do you have to control the clock against Troy?

3. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

That's cooky-talk.

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

we've had long drives, quick drives, short drives and most importantly no drives. No matter what our offense does, our defense can't stop anybody. Our problem with this defense our LBs being given free reign and not knowing what to do with it and a secondary that has absolutely no idea what they're doing.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

When your D is crap, it's advisable unless you want today's result or worse.

It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Troy has a good offense, but it's embarrassing to think that they could put the most yards on a Tennessee defense in the history of the program.

7. g8terh8ter_eric

If you can't, then something is wrong. We should be able to do what we want against them. The whole scoring fast thing is something that isn't good for a defense.

8. g8terh8ter_eric

I agree, but we only had one drive that lasted double digit plays. Scoring in less than 2 minutes don't help an already ailing defense.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Somewhere in la chip Kelly is laughing at this assertion.

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

He's giving up a lot of points right now

11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I get your point, but our D has proven that no matter how much rest you give them or don't give them all season, they're not stopping anybody. Especially a pass happy team. The offense absolutely had to score whenever and however it could all the time. I honestly think the best defense today would have been onside kicking it every time and taking your chances on getting the ball back.

12. g8terh8ter_eric

True.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Our defense's problems can be summed up in a word.

Discipline.

We have none.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  14. g8terh8ter_eric

We are also slow!!!

15. chavisut

That's not what I meant. You said the D needs that to win in the SEC. Should the same be said for Troy? I don't think so. There are much bigger problems right now than TOP.

16. chavisut

I don't see a defense that is gassed.

17. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I'm not saying we aren't slow per say, but due to lack of discipline as Jay pointed out and constantly being in the wrong place we look dramatically slower than we really are. That's what pisses me off more than anything.

18. g8terh8ter_eric

Yes. You shouldn't have to score 55 points to win a football game, unless of course the other team scores 48. The best defense, is sometimes a clock eating offense.

19. g8terh8ter_eric

Oh it does me too!! Nothing worse than watching a defense that looks ****ing clueless in Week 10.

20. chavisut

If we ate up clock, Troy still would have scored.

You should be able to score at will and be able to turn around and stop Troy.

I'm not saying ball control isn't ideal. I'm just saying it wouldn't make a [penis] of a difference for our D.