A hypothetical Vol coach scenario

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Oct 20, 2015.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

actually coaching football? Dooley had no defenders anywhere and his offense was predicated almost solely on vertical (deep vertical) passing game, but the plan wasn't completely doomed from the start. Dooley had no RBs, young line, awful defense and still managed to win what Botch is.

Both stink to high heaven, but the offense Botch has trotted out has absolutely no prayer of being effective, unless the QB can run.

Gruden was talking about Kelly and the Eagles last night and how they had neutered their offense, particularly DeMarco Murray, because defenses know that Bradford isn't going to run. They end up with defenders never having to pause or think about misdirection and they simply can't be blocked if you're telegraphing the run that way. We've been doing the exact same thing now for 3 years - self freaking imposed.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Chess, checkers, monopoly, or four square, I don't care.

Butch has actually won at a moderate level.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

no way. All but a couple of his wins have been against bottom feeders and we're mired in the worst SECe I've ever seen.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Moderate is overstating things.

5. chavisut

He won more at his previous stops than Dooley ever would.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

yes. Botch has done the same with more talent. DeBord is a worse hire than Sunseri.

7. chavisut

Whatever definition you choose, it is more than Dooley.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

because he was handed winning teams at every stop. Dooley won some at LT.

Again, if there is even a remote comparison that can be made to Dooley, the guy has no business coaching in a power 5 conference, much less at a historically strong program like UT.

9. chavisut

Dooley has one winning season, ever.

No argument on the latter.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

by what measure? Beating Iowa in the toilet bowl? Beating a hurt and massively overrated UGA team?

Mind you, he's had better players from the get go.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I agree. Butch pisses us off and makes us mad every weekend. Dooley is the worst ever.

12. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

At least we haven't had a punter catch the snap, spin around and toss it to an opposing player and lose the game, type thing happen to us................. Yet.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the UF and OU games were essentially the equivalent

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch has two wins Dooley never had, 2013 USCe and 2015 UGA.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree there

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

both gifts to some degree. Botch has several more "should have won" games that he lost as opposed to Dooley. Dooley lost in recruiting and player prep, while Botch does it with in game decisions, tactics, strategy and prep. Botch has recruited worlds better, so I'd take him on overall merit. To coach an actual game, I'd take Dooley.

17. chavisut

Are we talking 110th ranked defense Sunseri?

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

with no prayer of defending anyone. His best player was a 2 steps slow MLB.

DeBord is actually making the offense considerably worse than the sum of the parts.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Is that any different than wide receivers catching one pass for 7 yards against uf?

If not for Dobbs and Hurd, this offense would be beyond Sunseri level bad.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

and the idiot spent 5 games taking away the only threat that Dobbs actually represents. He's otherworldly stupid.