A&M Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 14, 2023.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1. This is the best d line we’ve had since 2001. 54 yards rushing on 28 carries and absolutely beat the dog shit out of Johnson tonight. They played very very well.

2. This might be the best group of running backs since 99. A friend posed the question on if Wright is our best rb since Stephens. I’m not willing to go that far….yet.

3. Credit to the o line. We were still able to run the ball even when everyone there knew what we were doing. They handled their front 4 very well. Props to Heupel for believing they could do it.

4 Despite all that, Dee Williams was this games mvp. If he’s not conference special teams player of week they need to get rid of the award.

5 Nice to hear Heupel own up to making poor 4th down decisions tonight. I disagreed with his first 2 but thought the third one was the right call. He should have called time out once they shifted late in the clock though.

6 Joe. This was the worst game he’s had. The end zone int was inexcusable. His decision making isn’t there. At all. It’s somehow gotten worse. Look, my stance is known. They aren’t doing it going into Bama but at some point he’s hurting us way more than he’s helping.

7 That said, receivers aren’t helping him out either. Mercy.

8 I’m sure that he’ll do something else boneheaded by seasons end, but it’s been nice to see Hadden have a couple of really good games. He’s honestly not bad, he’s just incredibly stupid at times.

9 A&M fans more or less hate Jimbo to a person. Can’t say I blame them. I’ve also decided they are the college football Mormons - culty and weird, but also incredibly nice. Several told me how nice Neyland was and it was the best they’ve visited.

10 We’ve got our work cut out for us next week. Bama isn’t invincible but it’s going to be a tall tall task. We’re going to have to fix the passing game to have a chance.

Bonus - Hearing the entire stadium chant Eric Berry sent chills down my spine. As much as we love him, he’s probably still under appreciated. Retire 14.

TennTradition, Poppa T, IP and 6 others like this.
  2. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Watching the Wildcat bowl. Both teams look like cat vomit.

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Agreed, 14 probably should be retired. He truly was one of the best pure college football safeties ever. Also, he was a hell of a lot more special and badass of a college player than say Reggie White was during his UT career. Being the only two time unanimous All American in program history at a place like Tennessee means something

utvol0427 likes this.
  4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Yeah, I couldn’t single out any of these backs as the best since Stephens…BUT, collectively, it’s probably the best room we’ve had since Houston, Riggs, Davis, Tinsley, Larkins.

People would probably argue Hurd-Kamara, and they may be right, but I don’t really ever remember feeling like we could truly cram it down your throat during any of the Lyle years.

IP, Memtownvol and ole_orange like this.
  5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

There really is no way of differentiating between the 3. There are a few quirks about their game that differs, but for the most part all 3 are equally good. Weird, yet great situation to have

I do think Wright has improved the most from last year. Jabari seems about the same as he did last year (I mean that in a non negative way)

SetVol13 and JT5 like this.
  6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I’ve given Tim Banks a lot of shit at times, and deservedly so, but you gotta tip your hat when it’s due.

After A&Ms first drive today, the defense was dominant.

SetVol13 likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Wrights vision, feel and patience as well as strength have all greatly improved.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

The secondary was respectable today but everybody knows the best secondary is a great defensive line

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Jaylen Wright is the best RB in the conference. If he's playing behind an offensive line with actual SEC caliber lineman, he'd be in the Heisman conversation. That we have 2 other guys that can come in for him and we don't see a huge drop-off is incredible.

zehr27, Tar Volon and A-Smith like this.
  11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I’d way rather have this group

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Hard disagree. I think Wright is the best we have and I’m not sure it’s close. But all three are good, it’s a great room.

zehr27 likes this.
  13. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Wright is currently running like his hair is on fire no doubt. Not an insane dissenting take here, but I think it’s much closer than how you frame it. Although fwiw I’m probably taking Wright before any of the other two at the moment if I’m a NFL GM. He’s not the fastest of the bunch but does possess the best vision currently when it comes to correctly reading how to slip through what his blocking is giving him.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2023
  14. JohnnyQuickkick

I get what you are saying with the OL but since Mays came back they’re kicking some asses. A&M’s DL isn’t a joke

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  15. Tar Volon

Crazy thing is his vision was an absolute disaster as a freshman. He just bounced everything outside as soon as he saw a single defender in his path. We talk about the game-slowing down for quarterbacks as they get older, but Wright looks like he’s playing an entirely different game right now.

InVolNerable and Memtownvol like this.
  16. Tar Volon

A quarterback performance like we had yesterday will absolutely not scare Alabama or Georgia, and it may not even be enough to beat Kentucky and Missouri. I think Milton gets way too far in his own head when he’s not hitting, and if he can’t shake off a bad performance with a week of training, this stretch could be trouble.

That said every phase of the game other than passing offense looked really good (okay, we still had some run blocking issues every now and again), and if the rest of the team can play like that and Milton can even reset to September caliber, 9-3 is the floor. I think I’ve given up on him reaching another level, but even competence will do if it’s clicking all around him. That support that wasn’t there in Gainesville appears to have arrived.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't think we can beat Bama w/o balance. They'll stuff the run if Milton is no threat.

TDVol1989, Tar Volon and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

1. Top of the list: Offense is severely limited. Can't say for sure if it's Milton, playcalling, lack of trust in WRs or all 3 but the pass game is this teams massive weakness.

2. Mays boosts an otherwise pedestrian OL.

3. Ground game good.

4. Above helped out our D a lot. I don't know how things look if we had to play Weigman, but Johnson made some decent throws. He was uncomfortable all night.

5. A&M is a [uck fay]ing cult.

6. All said and done, we won because of our DBs. I never thought I'd say that with Martinez here.

I still think we drop Bama/UGA and those could get ugly. I also think we could drop either or both of Mizzou/Kentucky as well.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  19. Tar Volon

OL has some issues still, but what we did against A&M’s run defense will translate against almost anyone if we can get even the tiniest bit of support from the passing game.

Memtownvol likes this.
  20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We have to start using rbs in the passing game since Wrs have trouble getting separation