A Wish List: Jones' Replacement

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 20, 2016.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think it is much easier to maintain greatness than create it.

2. I would take Bobby Petrino tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

The list of guys who have been able to do either with any regularity is pretty short.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Shaw might be about to have his name crossed off.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I'd take him yesterday.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's generally not true and makes what Saban as done so impressive.

It's generally human nature to relax after you reach your goal.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not many coaches have been able to go over say 6 years at the top.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

All of my posts have the full force of my will, emotions, and intellect. They are as close to inerrant as a mortal can get.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm saying I'd rather be tasked with keeping Saban or Hsrbaugh's machine rolling rather than trying to build such a program from scratch.

10. cotton

I think I would, too, but there isn't much success in doing so.

I keep thinking of examples and coming up empty. Florida after Meyer. USC after Carroll. Miami after Davis (+1 year.) Nebraska after Osborne.

I guess you could make a case for Bowden and Jimbo at FSU, even though there was significant drop off in Bobby's last years, or a couple of guys at Miami, or a couple of guys at Miami, but they're all a stretch. Has there been a good high-level handoff that worked?

11. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

The only thing that popped in my head was Tressel-Meyer. Obviously Meyer could have done it on his own though, just might have taken an extra year or so.

12. cotton

I had Ohio St listed somewhere but must have accidentally lost them in an edit.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Kinda reminds me of the discussion some had about Dooley and are now having about Jones. "Who ya gon git?" In some of those cases you mentioned they missed on the replacement just like UT did. It was probably just do to different reasons.

VN already has that talk going.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There was a dropoff in Meyer's last years, too. I don't think Muschamp walked into a situation where he was ready to go toe to toe with Saban.

15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

This year notwithstanding, I'll be interested to see if Kirby Smart takes UGA to the level Richt never could quite reach... I have a feeling UGa is about to enter the wilderness we're hoping to get out of....

16. cpninja

cpninja Member

He's going to take them to a level Richt never got to, but not in the direction they were hoping

17. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

You could say that Harbaugh established a culture that Shaw has maintained but having one great year record wise is hardly greatness.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They were there. Harbaugh stays and they are playing for national championships.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Make a Tennessee style hire, get Tennessee style results.

20. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

When it comes to the category of maintaining a juggernaut, Bowden is untouchable. FSU finished in the top 5 14 consecutive years.

Maintaining one should be easier. Building one takes more skill and effort. Maintenance requires that one not get complacent or too full of themselves, which should be easy, right? But then it isn't always easy.