Alcoa vs. Maryville 2012

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DarthVisor, Jul 9, 2012.

1. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I didn't really have a specific plan, but it does seem to be panning out in an interesting way. I don't think this year's contest is worthy of national TV givrm that neither team is as talented as they were in the early part of last decade.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Since when does ESPN televise things that are nationally worthy? Isn't this the same company that gives us Tuesday night MAC football and Sunday bowling?

3. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Valid point.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I imagine Quarles is just better at recruiting than his other Knoxville counterparts. I'd venture to say that Maryville and Alcoa would compete just fine in most parts of the country but definitely not Texas or Florida. So I agree in part with the disdain for how maryville projects themselves, but I do think they've fielded some **** good teams.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Two years ago was probably the best game to televise.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Tennessee high school football is in the bottom tier nationally. If Maryville played, for example, Lawton Eisenhower, they'd get beaten so badly they'd be unable to field a team the next week. There are precious few states where Maryville would be a contender in the upper classifications.

7. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

That was a great game. Lots of great plays made during that game.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Maybe. I guess we'll never know for sure, but Alcoa and maryville have had some pretty impressive athletes roll through there that makes me think they might be more competitive than you believe they would, but it's all just speculation. But, I totally agree with you about the deification of Quarles. Give any number of high school coaches the rosters that Quarles has had, and Maryville doesn't miss a beat.

9. hatvol96

Name five big-time D-1 players out of Maryville's program.

10. hatvol96

It wouldn't be speculation if they had told ESPN2 that they would rather play a doubleheader against outside opponents.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That Stewart guy that played at the Barn. Aaron Douglas. The robinette kid this year was pretty highly recruited. I'm sure there are more but I'm not enough of a maryville expert to name them.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That's true, but who knows if they had that option?

13. CardinalVol

Think the anger of Tennessee fans when the idea was even floated of not playing bama annually. Now, shrink that down to one county and multiply anger by 25 and that is what you are dealing with of Maryville Alcoa wasnt played.

14. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I've never heard anyone argue the programs are on par with the nation's best. Their success in the state of Tennessee has been remarkable.

What i think is pathetic is when a Trinity-St. X state championship in Louisville draws a third of the crowd that showed up to the regular season game in the same stadium. But then again that city loves its social events masquerading as sport.

15. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I had a kid that played for Alcoa tell me they were supposed to play Hoover back around the time Two-A-Days was being filmed, but that the Alcoa AD would not permit it. Regardless of whether or not this is so, I'm not sure Alcoa would have wanted tha

16. hatvol96

Why wouldn't they have played? They simple play a different day and could have traded a game against Soddy Daisy School for the Dumb and played real competition.

17. CardinalVol

This was actually attempted before 11 with Nashville privates. No one would take them up on it.

18. CardinalVol

Alcoa perennially had a problem of finding schools to play them. They've even tried bigger oos schools but no one wants the risk of getting best by a 500 person school.

19. hatvol96

So, they wanted to play more Tennessee teams? Way to challenge yourself.

20. hatvol96

Have them call out Moeller publicly. They'll get a game. The same goes for about 50 other programs within a reasonable drive.