An Angry Father

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Feb 10, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

There's something to be said about job security.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Nope. And I also know they say problem kids were easier to control when the threat of a paddle was there.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And nearly all aren't fed up w kids so much as the lack of ability to discipline them.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Spot on. Silent lunch isn't a disciplinary action for those morons, it's a joke.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Ours is a joke, it's once a week and the kids think its cool to get sent to it.

I really love teaching, but I'm also not a person to take things personal. I get along best with the ones from bad backgrounds. I have my issues with the parents that give them everything and of the mindset that the rules don't apply to them.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

When I had lunch duty, I brought my iPod and played music. You wouldn't believe the difference it made.

Music calms the beast

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or were the shitty parents not quite as prevalent back when the paddle was there? One can't be too sure. There are still schools that paddle and they are not exactly Meccas of k-12 education. In fact, the opposite is true.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I think you're getting into the population inhabiting those student desks more so than the fact that they paddle.

9. JayVols

Yep. It's a vacation.

I usually get along well with these kids. I make projects out of them. Sometimes it works. Most of the time it's temporary, though. I did behavior mod my 1st 5 years. I have many former students already in the grave and even more in a cell.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

How many times has a parent threaten to beat your ass Jay?

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I enjoy making it hell on them. Yet, I also reward those that get their assignments completed without causing too much of a headache. It's sad to see the lack of respect that these students have. What many need is for one of their peers to curbstomp them one good time.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Every once in a while fate happens and it's amazing. We had a kid this year come back from summer break thinking he was a badass. He just kept getting in trouble for picking on others kids, and none of our steps were working to stop it.

One day he picked the wrong kid on the wrong day. The kid beat the shit out of him for his games, and we've not had another issue from him.

13. JayVols

Never. I'm a pretty good sized guy. I refuse to listen to an idiot's bullshit. I am not shy in letting them know this.

I had one kid that bowed up on me. Didn't say anything, but it was obvious what he was thinking. I simply reminded him that if he swung, he was stepping into a man's world, and I had ever legal right to defend myself. And I told him I would do so with vigor. He changed his posture. You don't eff around with old man strength.....

14. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Well wtf should a bad kid feel like? Prince charming?

And I don't agree with beating a kid. I very rarely got spanked, because after the first one or two, I learned, like 53 said, to carefully way the risk vs the reward.

There's a difference between a beating and a spanking. No kid Deserves to be beaten/abused as to me that is only a physical punishment that is many times not warranted.

A spanking - what the bulk of us received - is a discipline that is accompanied by verbal instruction and reasoning when warranted backdropped in love. I never got a spanking that didn't make me realize that the reason I was receiving it was because I disappointed or embarrassed my parents.

And as far as the teachers getting satisfaction from spanking a kid, I couldn't buy into that. Looking at the kids I deal with lord knows some of them need it, but I'd never get satisfaction from doing it. Hell taking 3' of playtime (instead of the whole 20 he had earned) and seeing his eyes well up in big tears was like a punch to the stomach for me. I had to fight back tears too, but I still owed it to him to explain that as sad as he felt not getting to play was how sad it made me feel when he purposely was disobedient and disruptive in class

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Walking boss

It's not happpen to me yet either but I've heard stories.

16. JayVols

I'm sure it will happen eventually. I may get my ass beat or I may beat their ass. I know one thing for sure, whatever the outcome, their ass is going to jail.

17. JayVols

I am speaking of parents....

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I've had a regular that is possibly the biggest kid in the school. He's the loudest and most obnoxious one we've got too. He likes to impose his size and intimidate. However, I've coached the kid before and know he's probably the softest kid in the whole school. He had repeatedly picked on a smaller kid in lunch. One of our custodians alerted me that he thought that it was a matter of time before the big kid hurt the smaller one. I simply told him, don't be in such a hurry when you see him picking on him. Sure enough, about 3 days later he shoved the small kid into the lunch tray bars, and little dude pounded that melon for him. Had big 'en in tears.

He's been much more tolerable since getting his ego knocked down a few rungs.

19. JayVols

Karma is as much of a [itch bay] as whip action skinny switches (reference to an earlier post by me).

20. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

I got a big old Casserole dish of baked chicken spaghetti on the stove. Texas toast n sweet tea to go with. Eat up boys