An Angry Father

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Seems that you're going to each extreme. Shitty parents are bad either way, but I think think there is a huge difference than a parent that whips their child and one that beats the shit out of one.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

To be sure, I didn't call him a redneck. There's no harm in being a redneck, they're more often than not good people. I called him white trash. He's white trash because of the way he conducts himself. I can see his influence clear as day in his daughter's post. His video and her note have a lot in common.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not trying to give parenting lessons. I'm speaking to the statements in this thread stating that positive reinforcement doesn't work. It can, if done properly. So can negative reinforcement obviously, but you get a lot more mileage out of positive reinforcement used properly, with a lot less baggage.

Frankly, I found the father childish. Had he donated the laptop to charity, I'd have had no criticism and it would still have been negative reinforcement. Can you see the difference between the two types of actions? One is an action that still demonstrates responsibility and valuing things. The other is merely meant to inflict pain, with thought for little else.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So you give bonuses to people who slack all the time and do a piss poor job at what they do?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

My cousin and I would be sent to pick each others' switches. The lessons of Cold War era Mutual Assured Destruction were soon learned by each of us, and switches were selected more mercifully.

And I would never let my child be switched, for the record.

6. CardinalVol

I typically just found the biggest one I could. It just made life easier in the long run. Plus, little ones stung more because you could get more zip on them.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I realize and respect what you are sayingIP. I just disagree with it. There's a HUGE difference between discipline and abuse, though. I don't advocate abuse in any situation. If I am too angry at my kids, I walk away for a bit before I handle the matter. Child abusers are the lowest scum on the earth.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was juxtaposing the common practice of giving bonuses for good work/loyalty, to an apparently improved system (due to it being negative reinforcement which is apparently a better way to go) of docking pay.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

9. CardinalVol

I agree with you 100%. I just don't view this guy in question anywhere near an abuser.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Wish some of my students has this type of parent. They would not be such disrespectful little assholes if that were the case.

This guy obviously tried the "grounded" approach before and it didn't work. Like I said, it's not like he shot or beat his daughter.

11. JayVols

Whip action is a [itch bay].

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Jay, what was it like when teachers could still paddle? I've asked some older teachers and they said it made a huge difference.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not saying this guy is an abuser. I'm just saying he isn't the dad of the year he is being made out to be on many social media sites right now. Who was this video for? His daughter? [uck fay] no, it was for him. His ego was hurt by his daughter's note, so he wanted to get the last laugh.

He's a child raising a child. That's what I am saying.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

My dad never used a switch, always a belt, but my grandma liked a switch. I still remember the pain of a thin flexible limb wrapping around a calf

15. JayVols

I think this point has been overlooked a bit. This is a repeat offense. Apparently she didn't learn from the more 'gentle' approach. Judging from the follow up from the dad, she got the nuclear approach loud and clear.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

They still paddle in Union County. It was very common in my time there growing up which was the 90's.

It wasn't nearly as effective as it was satisfying for the teachers.

The solution to all child misbehavior is not in a bruise and never was. Corporal punishment can have its place when done properly, but it should be an act of misery for the inflicting party, not one of satisfaction, anger, or even righteousness.

17. JayVols

Night and day difference. I never had to paddle for the record. The mere presence of that option was enough.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Our school still does CP(unless the parents don't allow it for their child) and let me tell you, those little brats don't act near as tough after they have been paddled by a former baseball player. They were tough and rowdy 5 minutes before you send them to the office, then when they return their eyes are full of tears and they have the quivering lip. It's quite the turnaround.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

She. acts. just. like. him. The "nuclear" option is just going to make her go for a "nuclear" option the next time she is fed up. You honestly believe his take on his follow-up? You don't think she is no longer the frustrated, immature, and self-entitled 15 year old who wrote that note?

20. JayVols

I know. I was refering to another comment you made about physical punishment. Sorry if I was confusing. It's all god, man.