POLITICS AOC Election Chances

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Savage Orange, Mar 11, 2019.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The complaining about gentrification is interesting to me. If a neighborhood is improved the people that live there can no longer afford to stay there and get displaced and that makes them mad. Leave a neighborhood as the status quo and those same residents [itch bay] that its a shit hole and needs to be improved.

justingroves, Butthole and kmf600 like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean all the impacts. impacts being positive or negative can be subjective depending on perspective. that's why they aren't just called benefits. that would be a subset of effects from impacts.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Most people want a nice life. The current situation makes that very difficult for many people. Probably never been better than nowish but still that is an issue.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Got a friend that lives in South Knoxville and that is very much how it is. That being said, some of the stuff going on out there is kind of perplexing

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So we should stop people from making more money or improving neighborhoods because some people have it difficult?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

should neighborhoods not have self-determination? Should communities not?

Amazon could go anywhere. places lined up for them to come. why are they holding a bs contest and then trying to muscle in where people don't want them, insisting they are doing them a favor? it is pretty obvious amazon greatly benefits from this location over others, so let's drop any pretense amazon is doing them any favors.

We should call the bluff of these companies, instead of cutting unfair deals that other companies already there don't get.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

How many towns across America would roll out the red carpet for amazon? Hundreds, at least. so go there. No? Then they are proving the point that there are benefits they are receiving in addition to tax breaks that surely must come from somewhere at some expense.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

obviously they don't greatly benefit from that location otherwise they wouldn't have canceled their plans.

how is the deal unfair? btw the majority of her constituents wanted amazon.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

other businesses already there don't get the tax breaks, etc. I am speaking from being an Arlington resident, where several businesses here are asking why they are effectively being treated differently for already being located here.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

other business already there aren't bringing in 25,000 highly paid jobs.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Same stupid reason the new customer gets the freebies and the discounts. They already have you, so you can just sod off.

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I think we're starting to see more diverse planning in neighborhood gentrification. I've seen a few examples where the housing options vary from quite affordable to very pricey, and the overall aesthetic is attractive. I think this is a great gentrification model. It's not a panacea, but definitely a move in the right direction. Sustainability requires buy in from the community, but I know there was a working example when I lived in East Lake several years ago. I hope it has remained so.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I guess they should leave and come back.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they have that choice.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I didn't follow this all that closely but if this is true I am not surprised at all.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree. and so do communities to not want to give out those deals

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

if it is true they will surely vote out all the politicians who stopped it. If it isn't true, they won't. let's watch.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think the Dems are already working on getting her out.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

yep she's not selling out and it's making them look bad.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

As a member of a community who would welcome Amazon, I am greatly desiring that other communities who do not want them are unfettered in their exercising of that preference.