POLITICS AOC Election Chances

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Savage Orange, Mar 11, 2019.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that was the example she came up with

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don't think they want her in office. she's too reckless.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

it is the use of very loaded words that have burned the Democratic party and put Trump into the White House.

"Colonialism" is a loaded word. Instead of using that word, use "selfish" or "self-centered", something that actually applies to the person. No one alive today has ever colonized anything.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i also have never seen a community garden where people tell people they can't grow whatever they want so i'm not sure what she's getting at.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I could see if someone wanted to plant corn, for instance. That requires a shit ton of room and water for little output.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

client_PART_1457486670348_IMG_3596.jpg

JohnnyQuickkick and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

She’s a helluva lot smarter when she strictly follows the talking points / questions / statements that actual smart people prepared for her, in advance.

Off the cuff, left to her own wits, she’s not bright at all. Goofy, even. A lot of that is age, naivety, and will improve - and the big stages / bright lights only amplify it. And nothing wrong with that, as the world and politics are filled with successful people of less than ideal intelligence. But it is what it is, too.

I think I’ve consistently been both fair and complimentary of AOC, and still agree that a lot of criticism which is levied against her is unfair.

But saying cauliflower is “colonial” and “racist” is utterly and indefensibly stupid shit. It’s dumb-dumb talk, and she needs to take her lumps for it, and anytime she says similarly goofy shit, hopefully, so as to prevent her saying even more and worse stupid shit, again, and going forward.

Experience is both the best and worst teacher.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

usually they give everyone their own plot to do whatever they want with it. that's what is done here at least. i've tried growing corn and it's always been awful. not sure what i'm doing wrong. my tomato plants are currently looking not so great too.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Saying climate change is a major reason why we have Mexicans coming here illegally isn’t overly bright either

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Usually the spaces go to shit in community gardens too.

The actually having to do the work and keep it up part loses it's newness really fast, and the weeds take over. Now if you'll do all the work and give out food, you can have a successful community garden.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah that’s a problem. The successful ones like I described here are in the rich areas which obviously defeats the purpose.

12. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Didn’t Pete Seeger once say “Knowledge is what you get when you read the directions.... experience is what you get when you don’t.”?...

13. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

We have a really nice, productive one where I live. There’s also a privately run farm nearby that’s open to the public and it’s fantastic. Fresh fruits and vegetables along with an apiary that produces really good honey.

Volst53 likes this.
  14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Sounds like a nice place that actually values that stuff.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

saying she called cauliflower colonial-- that she was describing the noun and not the action as colonial-- is just being willfully ignorant. Thinking she meant the word in the sense of "colonizing new territory" is baffling. she is saying it is folks maintaining a level of control or influence in a condescending or presumptuous manner.

it's clear as day what she meant, unless one is assuming she is an idiot and thus reading into her for that conclusion. God help her if she ever uses the word "patronizing" or something.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

a) it's the example she used

b) who is going around telling her they can't grow whatever they want?

she's again creating racism out of nothing.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

you have literally inserted the racism. you.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what do you think colonial means exactly? you honestly think she wasn't talking about white people?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

again her own words:

“But when you really think about it -- when someone says that it’s ‘too hard’ to do a green space that grows Yucca instead of, I don’t know, cauliflower or something -- what you’re doing is you’re taking a colonial approach to environmentalism,” Ocasio-Cortez said.

“That is why a lot of communities of color get resistant to certain environmentalist movements because they come with the colonial lens on them.”

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You're not using enough chemical fertilizers

warhammer likes this.