Are we so lucky?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by DC Vol, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I'm not expecting a playoff appearance in the next few years, but as long as the current group recruits at this level, they're putting us in position to be better than we've been in a long time, and I'm quite happy giving them another two years of chances if they pull in two more top five classes. If we have another coaching search, it needs to be with a talent base.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Here's an angle. If he thinks Michigan may come courting, Botch may actually start to care about winning now.

If Worley starts, he either:

1. Is a VFL
    2. Doesn't think an offer is realistic
    3. Is really that stupid

3. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Worley is done, guys. Step off the ledge. It's just coach speak. Dobbs is the guy.

And Butch may or may not be the long term answer for Tennessee but it would be a complete disaster if he left after this year. This roster needs to be stabilized and he's at least doing that.

4. Cameltoes

Cameltoes Contributor

UM offers Butch $5 mill after everyone else turns them down. We up his salary to $5.5 mill and lengthen his contract to 10 years and he stays.

5. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

If after everything is said and done, Butch Jones is who this utterly useless and incompetent administration and AD decides is he coach that deserves that kind of money, I might have a stroke.

That being said, it sounds exactly like something that they would do.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Agree with all but forcing changes. As shitty as Jones is, assistants should be left up to the head coach. If he doesn't move them on his own accord, then you move him.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Guys, Worley ain't paying Saturday.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I will go ahead and say it: I don't want Jones going anywhere right now. I don't want him to take a job. I don't want him fired. While he has his issues on the field with game-time decisions, his off the field stuff is pretty damn good. His recruiting right now is off the charts, he has our APR up where it needs to be and he has shown he has the know how and willingness to skirt NCAA and SEC signing rules, finding loopholes to sign a shit ton of players.

If he leaves for Michigan, we will be hiring our 5th coach in 7 years. And not only has our AD not shown the ability to actually get out of its own way and hire a competent and qualified coach (not saying Jones is incompetent, but he seems out of his league and learning on the job), but they are egotistical enough to think they are doing a great job at it.

We need the stability. Just enough to keep this thing from falling off the cliff. If Jones shows he can learn from his mistakes and he becomes a great coach next year, so be it. If not, we cut ties with him after year 3 or 4 and then hopefully have an AD that will make a competent hire.

The two people I would love to see ship out are Cheek and Hart. That is where it all starts. Until they are gone, I am not sure we will ever have a good coach or Athletic Department.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Cheek and Hart need to be removed effective yesterday.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Get out of here. This is no place for the sensible

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A lot of people think Hart wants to finish in the SEC office. We'll see if a new commissioner hires him. If that doesn't happen, I still don't see Hart working much longer.

No one really likes Cheek, but no one is in a position to get rid of him. Tennessee's President seems to not exist

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not big on Butch's coaching, but I don't necessarily won't him gone either because of who would do the hiring.

Bring Blackburn back to Knoxville and tar and feather Cheek.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

14. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Will Michigan ask Rich Rod for a rec?

15. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

You know how these searches go at big programs. There is a top guy they want. He turns them down so to speak. The school's plan B signs a contract extension the day choice number 1 turns them down and suddenly the search hits panic mode. Then, you enter the world of unproven coaches. According to the link, it is easy to assume the Harbaughs stay put. Then Mullen is the guy, but FL dumps Muschamp for him. Though that gets interesting if he makes it to the final 4 and he wants to wait until after the championship games. Butch is the fallback and we are left with no coach mid-Jan. It could happen.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's why I doubt Butch is in the conversation for the Michigan job.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

All I can think is that perception at large is different than it is up close, but I don't see how he could be a candidate.

18. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

I've heard that Florida will not target Mullen due to the fact that Meyer apparently burned a lot of bridges with HS coaches in Florida and Foley will not consider anyone with ties back to that staff. May just be hogwash but it sounds plausible. I remember hearing about this during Meyer's final year before he "retired".

Good news for us, if true because I think Mullen would kill it at UF with the talent that would basically fall into his lap.

19. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I think you were right last year but I'm not sure that's true through this point in the season to date. I've read comments and rants on all kinds of UT media outlets and the chatter is growing exponentially that Baja sucks ass and is the anchor right now.

EDIT: I can't speak to TOS or TOOS. I've never been a member or lurked on either site.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

personally I'd rather bet my farm on the small chance that the idiot administration will hire a winner, rather than the 100% probability that the current guy wont get it done. certainly holding onto fulmer and dooley for too long didn't help you.