As for the 10 AM presser

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by WM, Jan 3, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Highly accurate analogy.

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Member

He didn't say that. He said, "It's not just this league guys, Akron (who we play next year), Kansas and Memphis, I mean they parted ways with their coach after 2 seasons..."

Just saying.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

For the record, I'm no stenographer.

I was instead just trying to offer vignettes as they occurred.

So, please don't take my account as a transcription. Seriously.

4. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

I don't know that it's competence as much as it is the dumb cloak-and-dagger process that has always surrounded college coaching hires. No school ever interviews any coach except the one who takes the job; no coach is ever contacted by anybody until he's suddenly gone to his new dream job. Billy wants to know whether Sally likes him too, but he's too embarrassed not only to ask Sally herself, but even her friend Jenny. Hiring a search firm is like Billy giving his lunch money to Johnny to go ask Jenny if Sally likes Billy. It's dumb but most of the schools do it.

It's also flat-out impossible in the Twitter/message board world. Hamilton spent all that money and was still thoroughly embarrassed by the number of people who turned him down. At some point schools will quit cutting these checks to search firms because it just doesn't keep the process secret anymore.