Babysitters (teachers) in this state will continue to be

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by ItsBusinessTime, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I don't have a problem with accountability for myself, but the environment and job considerations for teachers at public and private schools are worlds apart. It's not even close.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i can't speak for your area, but there is a reason why in california teachers go from public to private schools. most of it has to do with having students and parents who want to succeed and having more autonomy to teach as you think is proper. the only benefit of the public school teacher is the pension in california.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think Uni is right to some extent about teacher evaluation. While there are some tell tale signs you're awful-- can't control a classroom, or dont know basic material or how to deliver it -- the others are more subtle. Or, more problematic, when teacher's that are evaluated harshly in the short term produce long term effects in students that we would consider positive outcomes. And yet, that's impossible to evaluate.

I think teachers are paid a fair market wage for the most part, but I'm sure what most everyone in every job anywhere resents is when someone that knows nothing about their industry tries to "lay down the law" and make "reforms".

Sound familiar bankers and doctors?

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Agreed, and this is why I say that it is so much different than in the private sector as it's so subjective. There's no bottom line, no clientele, no profit margin, etc. If I'm a salesman and I don't sell; I'm fired. If I'm a lawyer and don't win cases; I'm fired. As a teacher, I'm supposed to educate children, but how do you measure that component? It's really difficult, especially when you are getting something with a host of variables outside your control to handle.

For instance, I had an evaluation this year in a class where students had just come from lunch period that had a fight. Anyone who's a teacher can tell you the chaos of that scenario and I had a shit storm on my hands, keeping me from doing parts of my lesson to try and calm the sugar and excitement induced teens for much of the class. I, subsequently, got low ratings for my evaluation and the comment that I would now receive two informal and unannounced visits from my evaluator. He came in randomly twice and things went perfectly, garnering myself a lot of praise. However, he didn't have to do this and could have easily stood on my required evaluation, but it shows how arbitrary things can be and why teachers can be a little skittish about reliance on very subjective elements for their employment (I could also probably come up with some better examples, but this is one that came up off the top of my head).

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'd love to see what Huffman would do after walking into a room full of ED students and "demand" they try harder. The expression on his face from the multiple **** yous would be priceless. What would be even better is his expression when he's told by the principal after marching them to the office that they are special ed & there's no way to rule out that the behavior isn't a manifestation of their disability thus no discipline can be given out to prevent a violation of IDEA and the kid beats them back to the classroom.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This type of shit coming down the line is why I left

8. JayVols

10 more years.... 10 more years.... 10 more years....

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Huffman has been an unmitigated disaster. I don't disagree with all he's trying to do, but he's been about as terrible as can be in implementing it.

10. CardinalVol

Serious question.

Why in the world does ANYONE think special ed kids should be tested or that they should not be lagging a bit in education?

11. JayVols

And Haslam & Ron Ramsey love him. Doesn't surprise me.

12. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

You would not believe what "they" want taught. I'll give an example of a student in the room next to mine. This is a severely handicapped young man, he cannot talk, all he does is scream, no words. He will try to take dumps in the floor, he tries to masterbate all day long. "They" in their testing, because he is the age of an 8th grader, believe that he should be able to do algebra, this is not a joke.

13. CardinalVol

I don't get it. I never have, I never will.

14. JayVols

No Child Left Behind.

It's the teacher's fault that a kid of 8th grade age can't do algebra.... Even knowing that the kid functions on an 8 month old level due to momma being a raging drug whore while pregnant.

15. CardinalVol

The thought was around well before that. Well before that.

Of course, you can't miss to take a shot at the GOP can you?

16. JayVols

See my edit.

Testing was not mandated until that legislation.
    That legislation was championed by Bush AND Kennedy. You can't resist thinking I'm only bashing the GOP.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Because everyone is a snow flake mentality. We're totally ****ing over a generation of special needs students that won't be able to take care of themselves.

They're trying to teach history and stuff to students that need to be learning life skills. It's truly sad.

18. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Amen and amen!

19. JayVols

[​IMG]