Baltimore Scanner Traffic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volguy1971, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

While IPs folks who cannot find a school to to attend and escape poverty apparently can locate a CVS.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Attending school is the new path TO poverty.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Preach

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Ain't that the truth.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We need to double down on subsidizing it.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Not really.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

People are going about it all wrong.

The stigma attached to labor jobs is ridiculous. Go to school for welding, pipe fitting, HVAC tech, plumbing or concrete work. There's tons of money waiting to be made for people that don't mind doing labor intensive work. Instead, people fill their kids' heads up with the rosy idea that a 4 year degree leads to an office job making 6 figures automatically.

9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Mom of the Year Nominee:

[video=youtube;VRlmCf1Kj2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRlmCf1Kj2o&feature=player_embedded[/video]

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I never understand rioting.

And that mom was awesome. I love her trying to pull his mask off of his head.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

More oppression from "The Man".

12. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Jemele Hill just on SportsCenter that it's not rioting, just an uprising. I seriously hate that woman.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm constantly reminding my wife's 20 something cousins that we weren't making big money out of college either. they not only expect high paying jobs immediately, they also expect to be managers and are unwilling to work their way up.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I mean, nothing makes people want to listen to you like burning down a senior citizen center built by volunteers.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

In your own neighborhood, no less.

16. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I think you're a bit out of touch. First off, tuition is a lot more expensive than it was 15 or 20 years ago. And I think generally people just want to be entry level at whatever it is they do, and often can't find that. Admittedly, I don't know many people who graduate in good majors and don't find decent jobs, I'm just using the larger narrative here.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I get aggravated at the English, psychology, sociology, art, communications etc majors that expect high end jobs in general. You got a degree that is an entry to grad school, not a degree that's an entry to the workforce.

Is that screwed up? I guess, but you have to make yourself marketable.

I graduated in the fall of 2008, shit was hitting the fan and jobs were scarce. It hasn't gotten much better, but it is improving.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you have to be smart about borrowing money. go to community college for two years and transfer if you can't afford tuition.

outside of the late 90s the college grad unemployment rate today isn't materially higher than historically and the average starting salary is at an all time high, but try to get anyone to believe it. 2008 happened, but we aren't in 2008. hell I graduated in 1999, the peak of the labor bubble in the area that most benefited from the dot com insanity, and we pay people straight out of college at least $10k more than I made.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

the federal government’s student financial aid programs has made college more expensive and is weakening the whole system.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I made more money before college than after. I guess my expectations were too high.