Bama Thoughts NSFW

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 21, 2023.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Only way to save the season is beat Kentucky and Georgia

utvol0427 likes this.
  2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I don't know how we are so in our heads on the road but we turn one mistake into ten. We outplayed them badly for a half. Game plan was great. Milton was everything we needed. We were winning in the trenches.

Second half, we give up a big run, then we give up a big pass, then we illegally fair catch and run, and that's just it for the game. Jump offside twice in a row. Give up third and long by run, by pass, or by penalty. Can't get a single yard to stay on the field. Give up a defensive touchdown when nobody on our team even seemed to notice the ball was out.

I still think going for the fourth downs was the right call, but maybe we should practice lining up under center. Maybe we shouldn't sit back and rush four while we get carved up for an entire quarter. Maybe we should have a single offensive lineman on the bench that won't ruin our entire offense.

Maybe the mentality is partially on Milton--he gets in his own head worse than anybody, even though he mostly played fine today. But the lack of OL depth is on the coaches. And I cannot fathom why the defense went into a shell even when the head coach was clearly still playing to win (see: going for it on 4th down).

TDVol1989 likes this.
  3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm going to go feed the dog and find some dark liquor.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

By the way, if there is a God why does Burton get to have a great game and no consequences to hitting a woman in the face at random?

5. Tar Volon

The fact that rushing yards ended up even after how it looked at halftime is inexcusable. We can talk about decisions all day but we just let them whip us in the second half like they haven't whipped anybody all season.

6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

The refs sucked

Alright that’s out of the way

We got spotted 13 and lost to the worst Bama team in almost 20 years.

That’s a [uck fay]ing problem and Heupel and his staff should have to answer for it

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just need to understand how lifting your arms no more than 30 degrees is a signal for a fair catch. I really need to know that. I don't know how you can catch the ball without lifting your arms.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

This says you have to lift an arm fully above your head, which is consistent with my entire 39 years of life in America watching American football. Why is this not the case in this game?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_catch

warhammer and Indy like this.
  9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Football is a lot easier when you can hold on both sides. That's at least 1/3 of the second half.

LawVol16, justingroves and A-Smith like this.
  10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Even if it is a fair catch if you're 30 yards from the player who catches the ball (i.e. you're completely out of the play) what does it matter?

11. Tar Volon

Hot take: on defense, it's in-game coaching. We have the dudes to get in their faces, and it was working in the first half, and in the second half we just didn't. On offense, it's a roster-building situation. We can't overcome losing a single starter on the line. Coaches called a winning game in the first half, and I'm not sure the playcalling changed that much in the second half. We weren't aggressive from our own 4, but that's understandable. Last drive was trash, but it's probably more on Milton than anyone. Apart from that? We weren't getting outschemed, we were getting outmuscled.

12. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

The worst Bama team in 20 years is still going to win the West and maybe the SEC. Must be nice for that to be your floor, lol.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

This was a ruled a fair catch. This needs to be pursued vigorously because this is so blatantly bullshit and definitely affected the competition.

upload_2023-10-21_19-26-56.jpeg

warhammer, justingroves and utvol0427 like this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is legal for Bama.

upload_2023-10-21_19-29-12.jpeg

15. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I’m usually the last guy to blame refs, but 1 flag for 5 yards? Come on. Nobody is THAT clean.

warhammer likes this.
  16. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Well Christian Laettner did too so there’s that

17. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

We do that on every kickoff that we let go or fair catch. I don't know if it should be considered a fair catch or not but he probably shouldn't have been doing that if we were going to return it.

18. Tar Volon

Those two pictures are two consecutive plays (not including the extra point). The game turned so badly on those plays.

We had a fantastic gameplan. But we got punched in the mouth (and when it was illegal, the refs let them do it), and we didn't have an answer.

19. dknash

dknash Chieftain

That was the touchdown 2nd play after halftime.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator