Basilio: Hart will move fast, 'AA will too

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by OrangeBlood79, Nov 14, 2014.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Howland is available right now.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

they'd probably decide to investigate him, too.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think Buzz Peterson is also free.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I bet Ralph Sampson would fit right in with our motif at basketball.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Tyler Summitt might be willing to make the jump.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Even the solicitation for money should have rendered Newton immediately and irrevocably ineligible.

That they excused it by asserting that the father was the one doing it, and completely outside of Cam's knowledge, was not only ludicrous, but the acme of hypocritical posturing.

Look back on any number of athletes who were ruled ineligible, and their school slammed, for additional benefits being paid or given to parents, relatives, hangers-on, etc. The student-athlete's awareness or knowledge of such impropriety was never even a point of discussion, much less considered as a mitigating factor, that is, until Cam Newton's case.

When you have a father soliciting his son playing for money - recorded, via a federal wiretap - and that player doesn't miss a game, and that the situation was resolved by the AA in a matter of days, instead of its typical month / years, you've lost what thin thread of any credibility you may have still had, even amongst your own member institutions. Once that happened, no one continues to fear the AA, and that's the landscape you see now - the Wild West II.

But it's neither unique to Auburn nor the SEC, as the AA essentially turned a blind eye, and circumvented any number of protocols, in allowing the Ohio State's players to participate in their Sugar Bowl, a year or two after the Cam Newton situation was similarly white-washed.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What Tenny said

8. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I don't disagree with you. However, I do recognize some distinction between actually receiving benefits and asking for them (part I bolded), not that it makes Auburn's/the Newton's transgressions any less egregious or worthy of being ruled ineligible. Point being, while Cam should have been suspended for his father's soliciting illegal benefits, the NCAA absolutely would have ruled him ineligible had they been able to prove that he took money.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

free is way too much.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd laugh if I didn't think that was a hire our AD would make.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

laughed

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

on this subject kinda, something I was wondering about: talk show callers frequently mention Charles Davis as somebody for AD....Honest question, what has Charles Davis done that would make him a viable candidate? Is there anything at all?

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Likeable black man.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Give me a likeable black man, and I'll show you the #2 candidate for any position (barring job applications from Mitt Romney or John McCain)

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Political science degree and he's from Elizabethton

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hire David Blackburn. Chatt is better in every big sport after he took over.

17. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

A friend of Michael White told me today that he was willing to take the job but that Hart wanted to hardball over number of years and then ponied them up for Tyndall anyway.

18. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

The football team just won the SoCon outright for the first time in 30 years.

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I am a no on Blackburn. F**K hiring a ****ey/Fulmer protege.

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Davis is from Brooklyn.