Ben and Unimane's Morning Constitutional Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by ben4vols, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Too bad NC doesn't tell the court to f5ck off, we will run our elections as we see fit. If you don't want to count our votes in the electoral college, that is your call.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2016
  2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Aren't you a big proponent of that Constitution thing?

3. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

You really have no clue when it comes to Constitutional history.

4. Unimane

Not buying your, let's say, "interesting" interpretations of history, law, politics, etc. doesn't equal a lack of knowledge.

However, humor me. Tell me how a federal judge determining that African-American voters being effectively disenfranchised (With "surgical precision") isn't applicable under the 14th amendment.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Surely someone will come along any moment now to inform you of your elitism.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I have come to inform you of your elitism.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sorry, 2 ahead of you. I must truly be elite, to go so widely recognized

8. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

The Subjugated South

You mean 15th Amendment?

9. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Between that and my white male privilege, I'm all set.

10. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Damn, IP is prophetic. Ohh wait, the Arctic wasn't ice free this summer. :D

11. Unimane

Actually, I did mean the 15th, just a slip of the finger. However, I believe the lawsuit was filed under the 14th, 15th and 26th amendments.

12. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

The states would have sh1t a brick back in the day if the general government dictated how they were to run their elections. The Constitution would have never been ratified under such a scenario.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

What would they shit if women were to get the right to vote then?

14. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Most of these guys were pretty progressive for the time, I'm guessing they wouldn't object today. I think they would object to the Federal Government dictating how a state will run its' election though.

15. Unimane

The Constitution would have never been ratified if they had banned slavery or expanded suffrage to all adult citizens, yet here we are. It's why they also provided for the opportunity to amend it. As such, the 15th amendment explicit refers to voting rights and North Carolina was the third state to ratify it in 1869.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why are we always so concerned about what the Founding Fathers would think?

17. Unimane

Or, if we do, think it was a body of people that thought exactly the same, creating some kind of "Founding Fathers" groupthink?

18. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Because they are the ones who set-up the general government and their notes on the Convention as well as state ratification debates are very interesting. As for their personal feelings on social issues I don't see that they are all that important.

19. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

The post Civil War Constitution does not resemble the pre Civil War constitution. Also, amendments that were signed under coercion are suspect. That being said, NC is well within it's right to ignore the federal judge and hold the election how they want. The general government can then either not accept their vote or impose penalties. At which time NC can accept penalties or leave the Union of States. My guess is NC will adhere to the judges unconstitutional ruling.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

OK, that is great.

But they were not infallible, and as Uni states, they had varying and far reaching differences in opinion at times. I mean, hell, Jefferson vs Hamilton alone made for a radically different country, and these were actual Founding Fathers, not someone 100 or 200 years later.

We should, of course, learn what they thought and how they viewed things, but weigh it no more than any contemporary thinker or statesman, in my opinion. The Founding Fathers had no Divine Guidance to make their thoughts fit all men forever.