Best summer job you ever had? (as a kid)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

rb in a reply in Andy Griffith made me think of this. The summer before my Junior year, I worked for my HS OL coach. He played for the Jets when they won the SB. He was building a house and hired me and another to work for him. Coach Mac paid us $50 a week and we had a "all we could eat" charge account at a little Country Store up the road which was part of our "pay package". After the first week, he tried to pay us $75 a week and we pay for what we ate. His wife, Bless her Heart, would not let him do this because "He" knew when he asked us, just how much we would eat. We would go to the store and get slab bologna, about 1/2" thick, 1/4" sliced cheese sandwich. A half gallon of ice cream, chocolate syrup, nuts, several cold drinks, every day. That was my best summer job. The summer of 1973.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Worked on a neighbor's tobacco farm and helped haul hay. Hard sometimes, but no one cared if we cussed or chewed tobacco, and we always had lunch made for us by one of the women in the neighborhood. Fond memories, decent pay, and you actually felt accomplished at the end of the day.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

One summer I was the sportswriter for the Humboldt, TN newspaper. Covered high school baseball and little league. Also would go out in the morning to my granddad's strawberry patch and pick a couple of crates and sell them to the local fruit stand.

4. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Summers after sophomore, junior, and senior years I worked 7-3:30 in a factory M-F. Started at $8, then $9, and finally $10. Wasn't bad money for a HS kid. Football practice at 6 and ran around lots of nights. I couldn't do it now.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Stacking wood at my grandpa's mill.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Started mowing lawns as a freshman and eventually that led to the business I have today. clearing at least $400 a week as a high school kid was living high on the hog.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Been there and done that. Several times. had so much fun I did it for myself for a while.

8. Beechervol

Been there and done that. Several times. had so much fun I did it for myself for a while.

9. Beechervol

Granny used to take me and my cousins out in the summer when we were 8 or so, we'd pick as many blackberries as we could find and sell em by the quart. That was my first payin gig.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Gosh, i might be among the last tennesseans that hung tobacco growing up. I dont know anyone with significant tobacco these days.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Use to be all up the valley, but you don't see it any more.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And that universal redneck necklace which was a mixture of straw, dirt and sweat. You couldn't pressure wash that shit off.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

When the price per pound hasn't really changed in 15 years there isn't much reason to get or stay in the game. My family stopped shortly after 95 or 96.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I don't know of a more sensitive cash crop to the elements -- too much rain, too little rain, too many bugs, weather too hot, weather too cold... the list goes on. And you get to the end and if it isn't in case you can ruin a whole crop.

15. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I had tons of friends that did that. I know some that still do every now and then.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Putting up hay and tobacco when in middle and high school. Worked for as little as $2.50 or $3/ hr.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Worked in a factory replacing ceiling tiles one summer until the great GM strike caused me to be laid-off. 5-3:30 every day. Purely and totally miserable.

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Ranching and building fences in CO one summer. Some of the hardest work I've ever done, but loved the group I worked with and the appreciation it gave me for busting my ass for a dollar.

19. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

My job with Coach Mac also included hoeing tobacco and picking up hay. The tobacco part was when he was ticked off at me. Only had to do that about 3 times. Funniest thing that ever happened was when we were putting shingles on the roof. I was on the roof and he had built some scaffles about 4' off the ground, made of 2 X 12's, Coach weighed about 280. He was handing me bundles of shingles as he moved down the 2 X 12. I had just grabbed a bundle when I heard a loud crack, both ends of the 2 X 12's hit on both sides of his head as he fell to the ground. I almost fell off the roof laughing at him. And as only Coach Mac could say in his slow draw, "I could be down here dieing and all you do is laugh!"

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Framing houses. I started at 15 as a lumber toter and ended up laying out walls and setting ridges by 18. Once football practice went from 5 to 3, I would work in tobacco and hay every year. I was too tired to be a bad kid.

Women loved the tan.