BIGFOOT real or not?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, Jan 1, 2012.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Maybe he's from Toronto.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Your test against known species is worthless, it just matches the closest known specie. It says nothing about whether there is a closer unknown specie.

And since BigFoot is the very definition of unknown, your test is worthless.

So again I say, "Here is DNA, now what?"

If your reply is anything other than "The closest known match is XXXX, but I cannot rule out, or in, that this doesn't belong to your unknown, because we have nothing on your unknown."

So in what way has DNA served you? It has no meaning, at all.

3. fl0at_

No, the argument is that you cannot state an unknown doesn't have my DNA pattern on standard DNA test.

You're saying you find DNA in the woods that matches mine, it's mine, and no other.

And that is false, amongst and between species.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I do think it could be used to rule out things:

If it comes back as 99.99% matching sea bass, I think we could conclude it was a hoax.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is a really round about way of coming out as a closet bigfoot, float. After all, I can only match your mythical bigfoot DNA as being 99.999% likely to be human. Ergo, perfectly reasonable to consider you possible unknown bigfoot.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Omg, you just spelled proof in an ancient unknown language that cannot be 100% differentiated from English.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't say that, you inferred it. I said show me dat DNA. Produce it, sir. Put up or shut up.

8. fl0at_

Incorrect. It would be unreasonable to consider me an unknown Bigfoot.

It would be equally unreasonable to conclude that Bigfoot cannot contain 99.9999% me.

9. fl0at_

Here it is. Now what?

10. fl0at_

No, it can only be used to rule out the known, not the unknown.

11. fl0at_

Once again, incorrect. And obviously so.

12. fl0at_

Someone provide me with the Bigfoot DNA pattern that cannot contain one or some variation of 99.99999999999999999999999% cat, dog, dolphin, human, bear, raccoon, sea bass or great white shark.

I'll wait.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Is there anyway to get that 99.99% to 100% identifiable sea bass DNA if you are not told what it was from before you do your testing?

14. fl0at_

No. All you can do is match against known markers.

It's a best approximation against the known. Sequencing would get you closer, but still not 100%.

(That's why biologists still have trouble with specie classification, even with advanced techniques like sequencing).

15. fl0at_

Look at it like this, suppose you worked in a lab that matched DNA, and were sent a sample from a fisherman who claimed to have discovered a new specie of fish.

And you analyze the DNA and find it to be a strong, strong match to sea bass.

What would the logical next step be?
    1. Tell him it was sea bass, and he wasted everyone's time.
    2. Ask for more biological material, a scale, a bone, the whole fish, etc?

Two, obviously. And if it can't be provided? You say it looks like it is sea bass, but you cannot say for sure it isn't his new specie. But you do know it isn't from a gorilla. So if you can provide something else that can be used to help identify this specie, we'll use that to help narrow it down.

But you absolutely cannot say that it IS sea bass. But you can absolutely say that it IS NOT gorilla. And you cannot say it is NOT a new specie, just that you'd be shocked to learn it was new (so shocked in fact it's sequencing would earn you front page on Nature, and probably 2 honorary doctorates.)

16. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Meanwhile SC warns about the Lizard Man possibly being active during the eclipse. Its a sham created by some ignorant peeps to have their own version of a Bigfoot type critter. Residents of Lee County, SC are none too bright.

Yeah it made the news one night with some barely literate types spinning a yarn no one would believe.

THEN LOL they went over to the car, popped the trunk and viola they had Lizardman T-Shirts. Mind you this was way before e-commerce and places like zazzle and teespring. (1988)

As far as I know none were sold and the lost their shirts!!!

Ignorant is as ignorant does.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017...izard-man-sightings-during-solar-eclipse.html

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  17. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Note the license plate on front of damaged car. Later they show the T-Shirts and interview a lady from Bishopville's Chamber of Commerce. Shameless I say Shameless.
    [video=youtube;FsRMcBuPnxs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsRMcBuPnxs[/video]

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

All I'm seeing is 100% NYY, which is the background control DNA signature of the conterminous US. He's been everywhere.

19. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

barley literate

20. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

People of means went to Robert E Lee Academy private school in Lee county. If you didn't go to that school your education was screwed.

https://www.releeacademy.org/ watch the video.

Bishopville has a pop of ~3200+ and is the county seat.

from Wiki:
    The racial makeup of the city was 65.83% African American, 32.83% White, 0.11% Native American, 0.44% Asian, 0.22% from other races, and 0.57% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.31% of the population...

The South Carolina Cotton Museum and Lee County Veterans Museum are located next door to each other in Bishopville. The Cotton Museum preserves the history of cotton culture and the legacy of a way of life both long gone and very much a part of the present.

Typo BTW. But it may be apt in a punny sort of way in reference to those who have seen the lizardman.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017