Bill Cosby Charged

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volgrad98, Dec 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I believe you, but don't remember that

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It was a big deal maybe 10-15 years ago.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I definitely recall that.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Started his downfall; everything picked up steam after this ...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He had some reasonable points and didn’t go at it just one-sided. Also criticized Christians for not doing more to help change the culture. Praised Muslims for being more active in changing the culture. Laid a lot of the blame for kids ending up in jail on poor parenting, which I’d say is a legitimate gripe. Said that moreso than racism and outside factors it’s an internal culture problem holding the black community back. Celebrating a lifestyle of wasting money on frivolous things.

Maybe went a little overboard on the saggy pants stuff, but I think it’s fairly obvious you aren’t going to get too far career wise dressing like that. Made the same point about Ebonics and was highly critical of adopting “African” names.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Oh, that puts me as a drunk in Knoxville so now I know why I don't remember it

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sure, he had points. But he was a rapist moralizing saggy pants and single mothers. I am just saying maybe a good place for a potential role model to start is by not drugging and raping women. That's worse than a deadbeat dad or saggy pants.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm just saying I'm not so sure "high horse" was the position he was taking. Seemed to be blaming a lot of people, at least somewhat including himself in the mix. So, it almost sounded like you were saying his speech was flawed regardless of these future revelations, which I wouldn't really agree with.

It's disappointing that someone was willing to put some unpopular stuff like this out there and then turned out to be a fraud, but if this kind of thing hadn't come out, I think his points stand up pretty well.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

His point stands as well as his plea did.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Some of his points were fine, but some, like "Africanized names", were pretty shitty and patronizing.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well it doesn’t make a lot of sense to worry about the man keeping you down and then assign your kid a name that makes him a prime target.

justingroves likes this.
  12. Unimane

Actually, I kind of have the opposite reaction in that it sort of does justify issues with "the man" if they are judged on having a unique, or African-style, name.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think it's a black issue.

Poor white people spell their names crazy too, and I'd say it hurts them just as bad too.

justingroves likes this.
  14. Unimane

That's still on those who discriminate against them, though, not for having the name.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know a Jaxsun, pronounced like Jackson. There's no reason for it

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's not fair, but it's part of how the world works. Same thing for good-looking people getting ahead of ugly people. Tall people over short people. And it's not just employers. People shopping for an attorney/doctor/serious professional tend to select the "normal" name over the "Africanized" name.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I feel like that's like arguing guns are unsafe and then sprinting across a shooting range to prove your point.

justingroves likes this.
  18. Unimane

Yeah, I know. That's called racism and why I blame some dumbass who judges people based upon their name being Shaquon rather than Stephen.

19. Unimane

I equate it more to people who think gay people should not go out in public as outwardly gay or with their partners because these people are too stupid/lazy/small minded to explain it to their kids. No one should have to be someone there aren't or don't want to be because of someone else's inability to wrap their heads around the fact that they aren't normal, i.e. like me.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The thing is, I’m pretty sure a lot of black people make decisions in a similar fashion.