Bombshell lawsuit filed against UT

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Daddy Gee, Feb 9, 2016.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

This story will drown from the general public's memory soon.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Nobody is going to care about this in about 57 days.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don't know why you wait but meh.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Agreed.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't disagree with the second part.

I'm no expert on Title IX settlements but my first reaction was, wow, that's less $$ than I thought. I think anybody with a brain will see that. It is unfortunate that most people don't have brains.

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Das it?

7. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Apparently, some wanted to settle last year for substantially less and Cheek vetoed that idea. Thanks Cheek

8. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Stop complaining.

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

So clever

10. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

The publicity would have been way worse if this was duked out in court. It would all be front page and ESPN and last another year. And, if UT defended itself as aggressively as it said it would, ultimately that leads to some nasty character assassinations. Then, at the end of all that, we were still going to write a check.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Not questioning your logic, but the timing.

If you could have made this never have occurred for less than you'll make on hot dog sales during the first half of the home opener....why not just write the check before it's even filed? I'm certain that it was offered. Or, refuse to settle and have your day in court. This scenario is the worst and dumbest of all worlds - where you get clobbered in PR AND still write a check.

But, the settlement may be an indication that a new person took over the lead on the effort, and did what Cheek should have done months ago.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

My guess is that it makes the Chancellor opening infinitely more desirable now.

Cheek obviously ****ed it up.

13. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I don't really disagree, but I have to wonder if the plaintiffs would have settled without some public humiliation. And, if Cheek mishandled this and it gets him out of here, then that might be better in the long run.

I am saying that at this point in time, this is about as good as it gets. And if we can be some sort of lead or champion for a movement to get campus authorities out of the process for serious crimes, then we could look even better. You know this will open the door for other suits at other schools. Flip it.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Handling everything poorly has been the one constant during the DiPietro/Cheek/Hart (lack of) leadership era.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

pure shakedown.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Debbie Jennings' victory lap.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

They're crazy

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The settlement was peanuts

19. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Could have been settled for about half that about 6 months ago. It hilarious they complain about spending money, yet overpay on a settlement.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]
    "I don't know what you are talking about. Overpaying something to make it go away, too late? What?"

[​IMG]
    "That's right, coach. No clue what this guy is talking about."

[​IMG]
    "What's going on, guys?"

[​IMG]
    "hehe."