POLITICS Border Wall / Gub-mint Shutdown

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Dec 11, 2018.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Did you want Clinton, regardless of who you actually voted for... or Trump, regardless of who you actually voted for?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't even know the first thing about last weekend other than there was a smirking kid in a MAGA hat and a native American standing face to face, and it was initially made out like the kid was Satan incarnate only to fine out 48 hours later there was more to the story. Don't know where it was, who was protesting what, why they were even there or anything else.

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I legit wanted neither. We were given two horrifically shitty candidates so were guaranteed a shitty president. No one should be all that surprised at where we are.

kmf600 likes this.
  4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I thought the Buzzfeed report was handled ok by the rest of the media for the most part. They clearly attributed the report to Buzzfeed and CNN was clear that they couldn’t get sources to confirm anything. By that afternoon they already had a piece up documenting the questionable history of the reporter.

But their initial reporting here was off.

5. fl0at_

Agreed. But, whether we are conscious of it or not, there is always someone we want less.

6. fl0at_

Don’t need to know. Sides are drawn.

7. gcbvol

I wanted Trump less than HRC. I still contend high Gary Johnson would be significantly better than both.

warhammer likes this.
  8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Did you? What about those people who didn't seem to vote for Trump?

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He made it sound like they surrounded him and were behaving in a threatening manner. He specifically mentioned being worried about escaping. Made it sound like they were a group of teens out for the blood of an old man.

TennTradition likes this.
  10. CardinalVol

The problem is that they still ran with it. Why not wait until your sources confirm or deny? It's Buzzfeed, not the NY Times.

Whether in a rush to be first or to make Trump look bad, it's a bad look.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So what’s the argument here? If you voted for Trump you’re not able to speak up about liberals wanting a kid in a MAGA hat lynched?

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

This is the main point of the entire fiasco, and no matter the reason why, it reinforces the "fake news" mantra.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We all know why, to get those clicks. They need money to survive, you get money by getting the clicks. The 24/7 news cycle has greatly tarnished journalism, as has the death of the local newspaper. IMHO.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You’d be pretty damn irritated if I held anything that close to your face. It’s just a rude, obnoxious thing to do. And the kid was pretty well surrounded by people, so he was going to basically have to move someone so that he could move out of this old man’s way, who based on what I’ve seen, probably just would have followed him.

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don’t know. It’s a massive report. Obviously they couldn’t do this with a blog or twitter post. But this was a news source and it had undergone editorial review. I think reporting that the story is out there while developing your sources is OK - particularly when all of that happened within a day.

16. CardinalVol

Exactly.

All it does is give Trump more ammo to say "fake news", and more ability to lie when something truthful is out there and call it fake.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don’t see the rush. This isn’t reports of a world leader on death’s door of some impending threat. It was a nonviolent, potentially offensive encounter that had already concluded. Nothing to be lost by getting the facts 100% straight before reporting.

18. fl0at_

Yes. I wanted Trump less than Clinton.

Still do.

19. gcbvol

I think TT was referencing the Buzzfeed story here.

20. fl0at_

There is no argument. We are here, savor it. We’ve made it possible, and choose to double down, by ensuring that everything we do is partisan.

As in, it wasn’t “idiots,” it was “liberals.”